Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
christina_gw

Ever hear of a dinnerplate Hybiscus?

Christina
22 years ago

My mother bought me a dinnerplate hybiscus and I am not sure how to care for it. I live in Massachusetts. I was told this can be planted outside and will take the winters. The flowers are beautiful and I would hate to have the wrong information on careing for it.

Comments (3)

• lepreckaunn
    22 years ago

Yes you were told right. However your winters are colder then we have i live in Ga. So you will need to MULCH real good.

• FlwrGirl91_Aol_com
    22 years ago

Hi Christina. Congratulations! That is a beautiful plant! I have 8 of them in my yard, and they are my favorite tropical plant that IS hardy in our zone! What you'll need to do is in the late fall, cut the plant down to about 6 inches, and mulch it. It doesn't start growing until May, so don't think it's dead and dig it up, it just takes a long winter rest. Then, when it starts growing about 12 or 15 inches, get one of those round support things to keep it upright. Mine tend to get to heavy and fall down in the strong wind and rain. The earlier you support it, the better. Also, I found that you really don't have to water the plant much, once it is established. I know you will love that plant for years to come. Everyone who sees my Hibiscus plants said they want a piece of it in the spring. Well, if I did that, I would'nt have any left! They do seed themselves but not so bad that you'll be ripping them out of your yard. In fact, that's one way to share! Good luck!

• Claire_from_Michigan
    22 years ago

I have a beautiful dinnerplate hibiscus and last year I gathered seeds from it, so I'm hoping to have more. Here's a picture from last year's blooms! Can't wait till this year!

{{gwi:1276503}}

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus
More Discussions