Return to the Gardening with Kids Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
School Garden

Posted by uptomyeyeballs 8 (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 8, 06 at 19:10

I am in charge of the class garden for my son's school. It is a combined class of 36 2nd and 3rd graders. This is not always an easy job. I get frustrated because we can't use the prime growing season of the summer since the kids aren't in session. So we have to garden in fall, winter and spring. We have mildish winters so that is helpful. Right now we have growing some lettuce, radishes and beets.
Do you have any ideas for this garden?, Fun projects that cost very little money (most input unless I request something from other parents, comes from me), ideas to keep them interested and busy and some of you favorite things to grow in a school garden so that they can experience the fruits of their labor.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: School Garden

Herbs are nice, especially rosemary. Kids love the smell on their fingers.

Could you do onions, starting from the bulbs? I recently sprouted potatoes with children. Get some organic potatoes (regular ones are treated not to sprout), let them start to sprout. Chop them up with an eye or two on each piece and let them set a couple of days so the cut hardens off. Then plant. We planted them in cups, and almost all sprouted.

Have you checked out Kids Gardening? Their website is below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kids Gardening

o
RE: School Garden/

I thought of one more thing you could do that the kids would like, and that is start a worm bin. You could do it in a rubbermaid bin with holes punched in it or even a cardboard box (which would eventually decompose, but that's part of nature).

If you want to do it, you can check out of the library the book "Worms Eat My Garbage" by Mary Appelhof. You could keep the bin in the garden, and the kids could put their after lunch scraps in for the worms. This would be a lesson on decomposition. The food scraps start to be decomposed by mold, bacteria and other microscopic critters, then the worms move in and eat up what's left. The bins do not smell unless they get too wet.

Susan

Not sure how cold it gets where you are, but if you think it would be too cold for worms, you could start the bin in the spring.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening with Kids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here