Return to the Gardening with Kids Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
kids teepee from beans, melons, etc.

Posted by lovemyhubby 5 IL. (weishaar@altamont.net) on
Mon, Dec 30, 02 at 8:51

I have already cut lots of little saplings out of our woods to make nice long stakes for making teepees for the kids this year and wondered what would be the best thing to use. I even though I would put some here and there in the woods using shade loving plants such as melons etc. What is your suggestion for plants?? I thought I would use yard long green beans on one and those little pumpkins on another and maybe hyathin bean vine on yet another but would love to do more. Let me know your ideas? And is there a way for me to do a tunnel you think without the middle support to walk around? I was thinking some kind of long 10-20 foot long 3ft wide tunnel but without the stakes in the middle to keep it up. I'm not an architect by all means. keep in mind that I have little cash but 55 acres of woods to get saplings and sticks from.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: kids teepee from beans, melons, etc.

Pole and scarlet runner beans come to mind first. Cucumbers will grow up poles.

I don't dare guess on the structure. I know just enough to be dangerous! Good luck!

o
RE: kids teepee from beans, melons, etc.

WOW! 55 acres! That sounds like heaven. I've seen "Jack and the Beanstalk" kits that show how to make a playhouse out of runner beans. I bet they'd climb up your poles quite nicely. I'd be inclined to stay away from melons unless you have a way to support them on the vine. Ours have gotten really heavy, and I can't imagine them growing up over the kids heads.

Pam

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening with Kids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here