Return to the Gardening with Kids Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A plant for my daughter?

Posted by derya ON (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 10, 04 at 14:08

You are very lucky that you have a garden. I always dreamed of a house with a big backyard, so I can plant flowers and let my daughter play freely and plant whatever she wants. Unfortunately, I live in an apartment, so I can only grow house plants. My daughter loves our plants very much. Even she owned my two violets. And I want to do more for her. I want her to plant something that will not fail and will make her happy? What do you suggest?
Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A plant for my daughter?

Christmas cactus? Herbs from seed you could use for cooking.

Get her the supplies and help her make a terrarium. All you would need is the soil, gravel, charcoal, a large jar and any decorative items. Then go shopping together for a few plants.

The large amaryllis bulbs you see in the store now are fun.

I don't know how old your child is, but kids like to chop the top off carrots, sit the piece in water and watch it re-sprout.

You sound like a very loving mom. Lucky child.

o

Nasturtiums are good you can eat them too

o

For indoors spider plants are good starter plants for young ones. they can take a good bit of neglect and still rebound once they get water again. they don't require much work and readily adapt to various light levels. Once the plant sends out runners the kids get excited to see the baby they planted off of one has now grown and sent out its own runner(s)

o

BIG smile sunflowers are great indoors it is what my children started with and now my girls are putting up lattice in their room to grow climbing sheel vine and my son has bird of paradise growing in his room Marigolds grow good indoors also

o

Try this...

Here is a link that might be useful: CG online-gardening with kids

o

Do you have a balcony? If you do, you might takes a good look at the balcony gardening forum, you'd be amazed at what people can grow out there!

Here is a link that might be useful: Balcony Gardeing at Garden Web

o

Again depending on the age of your child...
I saw a cute project
Supplies:
Window box
Soil
Glass beads (like for a fish tank) or pea stone
radish seeds

Fill box with soil as you would for any planting, then with the seeds- write your childs name or initials, cover lightly with soil, then cover with thin layer of rocks or glass, careful not to disturb the seeds.
Radishes work well because they grow fast. They will not mature enough to eat, but just pull them when they go by and write something else.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening with Kids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here