Return to the Terrariums Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
my terrarium, updated

Posted by dfourer z5 Chicago (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 23, 05 at 18:02

My terrarium, with new plants, more growth. Go to this link. If you have a dial-up modem it will take a while to load.

http://home.comcast.net/~dfourer/terrarium.html

-----David

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: my terrarium, updated

David:
Thank you for sharing! It's beautifull! Love the set up. In the clay water catcher, you have something that looks like floating aquatic plants, what are they? they sure look cool!
If you want to do something with the back, prop some cork slabs, they look like old trees, last a long time and are very light, that's what I have in mine, and I mounted some orchids and other plants to it.
Ana :)

o

Hi Ana,
I would love to see your terrarium. Especially viewing your Orchids. Do you have a photo posted on this forum.
Theresa

o

Theresa:
go to:

http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/AlbumList?u=4187535&f=0.

Ana :)

o

I love your terrarium. Makes me want to build one. Do you think a 10 gallon long aquarium would be too small to start on? I have this aquarium that I never put fish in, so maybe I should start a terrarium.

Dasheen

o

Dasheen,
In the last month everything has grown like crazy and filled in the tank. The nice thing is that it's low maintenance. I went away for 10 days and there were no problems. Ten gallons is big enough. My basic advice is this:
(1) You need light, a window or fluourescent lights that are bright. 25watts of fluorescent lighting for a 10-gallon I think. Must be fluourescent type, with a timer.
(2) Don't use a lot of dirt. Just an inch of light potting soil pressed into the bottom, and a little extra here and there.
(3) Decorate with bark, rocks, whatever.
(4) Plant tropical or "house" plants. Small plants will grow fast. Cover the top except for a small opening, to keep the moisture in whenever heat is on in the house.
(5) Water, but don't make it soggy.

Good luck,
David

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Terrariums Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here