Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
imaginators

What can I do with this terrarium?

imaginators
19 years ago

I should be receiving my new miniture glass terraium soon, I purchased on Ebay. I would like opinions of what plants could be put in it, needing what king of installed lighting? Any creative ideas would be most appreciated.

Theresa

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1267592}}

Comments (9)

• imaginators
    Original Author
    19 years ago

The measurements are 12" x 8 1/2" x 12" high. I would appreciate any opinions.
    Thank you,
    Theresa

• imaginators
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Don't be shy please respond.
    Thank you.

• terry1989
    19 years ago

i would place african violets in there. or if u like, butterworts, almost any type of carnivorous plants work! good luck
    ~terry

• imaginators
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thank you so much.
    Theresa

• sahoyaref
    19 years ago

You should post this on the discussions side as well, it's a lot more active. You'll need to stick to small plants. Carnivorous plants are good, as terry suggested. Butterworts, Venus Flytraps, and Sundews stay fairly small, and all enjoy the same conditions (moist soil, lots of light). You could also try small ferns, african violets, small tillandsias, ficus pumila (cut it back as needed), cryptanthus, and more. Do you want to have it planted, or leave the plants in pots? I don't know if you could put any lights in there. I would just place it in a bright window and stick to lower-light plants, or have outside lighting, such as a compact fluorescent desk lamp over it.

• imaginators
    Original Author
    19 years ago

From reading this forum, I am thinking about starting with Miracle Grow soil and Java moss for the bottom of container. Do I need to put gravel or pebbles in the bottom with the soil over the gravel or bark to absorb moisture for some kind of drainage. As you can tell I really don't know what I am doing. What kind of small ferns do you recommend? I like the idea of African Violets or flowering plants of that type.
    Theresa

• imaginators
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Has any of you started with kits as shown below for $9.00.to get your feet wet? I am thinking of the tropical kit. What are your opinions?

Terrarium Kits
    Take a Closer Look
    * A beautiful, comfortable environment for your pet -Tropical, Woodland, or Desert
    * High-quality materials direct from your pet's natural environment
    * Air-drying protects beauty, creates a comforting habitat

Each kit contains the high-quality materials you need direct from your pet's natural environment, carefully air-dried to create a beautiful and comfortable habitat. Each decorates approximately 10 gallons.

Tropical: lush mosses with exotic bamboo, lotus pods, and chartreuse lichen for that jungle mood.

Woodland: Mosses, gray lichen, covered branches, birch bark pieces, miniature and medium pine cones.

Desert: Spanish moss, deerfoot lichen, freshwater driftwood, dried cholla skeletons, and dried flowers.

• ladybug_guam
    19 years ago

Theresa:
    You are all over with your questions :), where did you find this kit for $9.00? To give you an idea, we have to see the actual set, did you find it in a catalog? which? But for $9 you won't get much.
    Your best bet is: read sahoyaref post again, go to www.blackjungle.com click on terrariums and you'll find all you need.
    Ana :)

• imaginators
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Hi Ana,
    I saw those kits on Dr. Foster and Smith web site. Yes I do have a lot of questions because I am just learning. In the warmer weather my focus will be more outdoors with gardening, ponds and Koi. I purchased on the internet Irish Moss seeds for ground cover around my waterfall pond area and planter. Can hardly wait for Spring to come. Well I went to blackjungle.com and purchased for my small terrarium, Dwarf mono grass and a Fern - Humata tyermanii "White Rabbits Foot". Later I will ad one more plant such as African Violet. Not a lot of room to plant in and I have to keep only small plants. I also purchsed a clump of Java Moss. I gather the Java Moss is for only aquariums. Well I have a fresh water aquarium that it will do nicely. Also thinking of maybe putting a tiny bit of the java Moss in my large bowl with black pebble rocks that has a water fountain flowing into. I think it would give it a very nice effect.
    I do wish blackjungle had more small flowering plants beside Orchids. But back to the nursery for that.
    Thank you,
    Theresa