Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
iliketerrariums

Pics of My terrariums after it was redone.

iliketerrariums
18 years ago

{{gwi:1267655}}

{{gwi:1267657}}

{{gwi:1267659}}

{{gwi:1267661}}

{{gwi:1267663}}

Comments (9)

• iliketerrariums
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Forgot to add descriptions to the pics, so, pic 1 is a view of the front, you can see the fern in the upper left, in the upper right there is some kind off succulant, if anyone can identify it I would appreciate it =) below that you see a couple of broms and to the right of those you see the "papa gayo", in the middle you see some baby tears hanging down from the driftwood, it should fill in nicely, lower right(bottom)is a small Bamboo forrest and some type of water plant growing on a piece of driftwood, this, I was told, would eventually fill in nicely, Pic 2 is the upper half, Pic 3 is a close up of "Nishiki" named after my first mountain bike, (it was big and sluggish too!LOL!) Pic 4 is the bottom half, if anyone can identify that water plant I would also appreciate it =)

• Cdfortin
    18 years ago

Very well done! You've created the perfect setup for epiphytes (including orchids and broms). I believe the common name of the water plant is "water sprite."

You're whites tree frog looks very happy and healthy. Hovever in my experience whites like an enclosure with dry areas (not that I can judge the dryness of your enclosure very well). I can't really tell if there are any perches for him to rest on that are both dry enough but not too hot. As you already know, whites are fat and lazy and they don't like supporting their own body weight. Therefore, they like to just sit on ledges. The point I'm getting at is, it's important to have both moist and dry ledges.

One more thing - crickets! They drown real easily. You might end up having to put the whites in a seperate enlocsure for feeding.

Well that's just my 2 cents. I'm definitely NOT trying to start andother "terrarium thingy" debate, no sir.

I don't really know how to label the enclosure. Somewhere between a paludarium and a terrarium, I think.

Well anyway great job with the setup. Remember, broms will work great in there.

• iliketerrariums
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for the kind words! I thought it was water sprite, and still think it might be, but it has rhizome like extentions close to the roots? just like rabbits foot fern? Do water sprites have that feature? also, its funny, he does have two dry ledges on the same level as the pic that are nice and dry and also the same temp and humidity, but he always goes back to that one ledge? I say goes back becuase I noticed that he will go over to the spots that have running water (passing the dry ledges) and "relieve" himself there and only there!? Its like a "flushing" toilet for him! LOL! Is that normal behavior for whites? The crickets that fall in the water when he is fed have all managed to swim, (very quickly I might add)over to the "wall" covered with coco that surround all but the front of the pool and climb right up (where Nishiki waits silently!) I do plan on getting as many epiphytes as I can fit comfortably in the tank, I think it will make the set up stand out a bit, I promise this, if I see any signs of problems (like "red leg" I think its called) I will remove him quickly and start on a new set up, even though, as mentioned above, he does favor that ledge over the dry ones for whatever reason? =)

• Cdfortin
    18 years ago

"Thanks for the kind words! I thought it was water sprite, and still think it might be, but it has rhizome like extentions close to the roots? just like rabbits foot fern? Do water sprites have that feature?"

I'm not sure. But whatever you have seems like it will work well.

"also, its funny, he does have two dry ledges on the same level"

Good - I just couldn;t tell from the pic.

"I say goes back becuase I noticed that he will go over to the spots that have running water (passing the dry ledges) and "relieve" himself there and only there!? Its like a "flushing" toilet for him! LOL! Is that normal behavior for whites?"

Yup that's what mine does. Mine stay in a dry spot right under my light all day and then at night his sits in his water bowl and poops (alot).

"if I see any signs of problems (like "red leg" I think its called) I will remove him quickly and start on a new set up, even though, as mentioned above, he does favor that ledge over the dry ones for whatever reason? =)"

I don't think you'll have any problems. Maybe you could run your humidity and temp stats (upper and lower portions of the tank) by the forum and I tell you what I think. The only reason I mentioned the whole "dry ledge" thing is that it looks like you are leaning toward more of a rainforest style setup (with your drip wall and the big waterfall). Whites live in areas of Australia and Indonesia that are sometimes a tiny bit drier (that's why I reccomended giving him a choice of dry and wet). They have sticky/waxy skin to help maintain their moisture. Also that shiny outer coating makes whites very resistant to diseases which is why they are such a good frog to keep (besides that fact that they're fat and loveable - mine eats out of my hand).

"The crickets that fall in the water when he is fed have all managed to swim, (very quickly I might add)over to the "wall" covered with coco that surround all but the front of the pool and climb right up (where Nishiki waits silently!)"

I wish I had your luck. My crickets seem intent drowning themselves in whatever water they can find. Maybe they prefer suicide ofer being eaten...i don't know. BTW Nishiki is a cool name it kinda reminds me of some Japanese bubba fet if you know what I mean.

Well good luck with everything.

• alexis
    18 years ago

The tank looks very good. I love the tropical look with the cave, ledges, and plants. I have 2 green tree frogs besides my dart frog. One of them (Watcher) has a little pond area with rock ledges (it's a ceramic tank decoration) and a rock cave along with some plants. The other one (Frogger)has a ceramic rock water dish, hoya plant, and a decorated fake log to hide in. Your frog looks very happy in its tank setup. I had a nice setup for my dart frog a few months ago with fittonia and creeping fig but my frog digs around plant roots and accidently killed the creeping fig. I'm glad you found a tank setup your frog likes. I've seen White's tree frogs in the pet store and they are cute frogs.

• garyfla_gw
    18 years ago

Hi
    Looks great in my opinion. Could use a few more plants,i always like to see every square inch covered. You could use some Duckweed floating on the water,Keep those crickets from drowning and should help with the bio cycle. It does grow like a weed though .
    I have mine setup but no planting as yet. I reduced the seep wall from 5 feet to 3 and now have way too much water current in the aquarium part. Still losing about a gallon a day but can't locate where it's getting out lol Was sure tricky setting up the valves and deciding how many holes in the spraybar. i have complete coverage now just a bit weak on the right side. Now for the heat system lol
    gary

• sahoyaref
    18 years ago

The WTF is so cute! He looks like he's smiling! =) My Dad has a Nishiki Bushwacker. I can't believe he hasn't gotten a new bike in all these years. . . he even rides it to work when he can! Anyways, I like your tank! I'd put way more epiphytes in there, but I tend to do overkill on plant variety in my tanks. Your bamboo isn't actually bamboo, eh? It's Draceana sanderana, or 'lucky bamboo'. It will grow very tall very fast with such good lighting. Just chop it when it gets too high, and it will grow new leaves lower down on the stem. Make sure you keep us posted on how well the baby tears do. I've always thought they'd be perfect for a terrarium because of their scale, but I dont' know if they like staying so moist and humid. The succulent is some kind of aloe. It won't last long. You'd be better off with a real brom or tilly up there.

• mdahms1979
    18 years ago

The mounted water plant is Java fern Microsorium pteropus. If you give it a larger piece of driftwood it will grow both in and out of the water where there is enough humidity.

Overall your terrarium has turned out very nice. I think a few more of the drier growing/silver scale covered Tillandsias would do well on the dry walls. Other than that you will just have to play around with the plants and see what does well for you. If the lucky bamboo does not do well you could always try an aquatic horsetail species for the same affect.

Here is a link that might be useful: fern info

• iliketerrariums
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for the comments =) sahoyaref, if the "lucky bamboo" gets to tall I think I will replace it with some other type of amphibious plant, some thing that would give me that mini forrest affect, dont know what yet, but will consider all suggestions! =) and although you are totally right about the succulant, I have had two of them for about four years now and notice that the drier I keep it the worse it looks, but when I keep the soil around the roots somewhat dry, but the humidity higher they look fantastic!? So for the last couple of years I have kept them in higher humidity and they grew faster than the first couple of years!? If it does start to go under for whatever reason I will remove it =) the baby tears should do fine as all the research Ive done tells me that they love humid/moist conditions, but, if they start to look bad, they will be removed, and epi's....I will order them some day soon, just waiting for the temps in Philly to get a little warmer, I will order many as I to like a more densly covered background, mikedahms, thanks for the Info on the water plant! The humidity is high on the bottom of the tank (83) so I will keep my fingers crossed =)and will consider the rest of your suggestions if any of the plants mentioned do not fair well =) sahoyaref, mention to your dad that I too loved my Nishiki bike, I too thought it was the best and it actually was for the time, but one ride on a lighter bike and, well....I had to put old Nishiki down =( LOL!

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH