Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dravenxavier

Current Pictures, plant list (BIG pictures!)

dravenxavier
18 years ago

I finally got my terrarium moved, and my Dendrobates pumilio just got here yesterday. So far so good with them. Though I can't say my moss liked the move very much. It's a little yellow on the branches, but recovering nicely (albeit slowly).

Bromeliads/Tillandsias:

- (2) Neoregelia 'Fireball'

- (2) Neoregelia ÂMidgetÂ

- (2) Neoregelia lilliputiana

- at least 5 other Neoregelia hybrids (2 are clusters of 4+ plants)

- (1) Vriesia splenriette?

- (1) Vresia sp.

- (1) Pitcairnia tabulaformis

- (2) Cryptanthus (miniature variety)

- (2) Tillandsia neglecta

- (1) Tillandsia filifolia

Orchids:

- (1) Bulbophyllum brevistilidium

- (1) Sophronitis cernua

- (1) Haraella retrocalla

- (1) Oncidium flexuosum

- (1) Mediocalcar decorata

- (1) Pleurothallis sp.

- (1) Maxillaria sophronitis

- (1) Maxillaria brunnea

- (1) Maxillaria arbuscula

- (1) Ceratostylis rubra

- (1) Epidendrum polybulbon

Carnivorous:

- (2) Utricularia longifolia

Ant Plants:

- (1) Dischidia pectinoides

- (1) Hydnophytum formicanum

Primitives:

- (2) Selaginella sp. Resurrection plant

- (1) Selaginella sp.

- Java Moss

- Assorted mosses (most generated within terrarium)

Miscellaneous Plants:

- Rhipsalis sp.

- Ficus pumilia

- Philodendron scandens

AND for the pictures:

Full Terrarium View

Angled View

Find the pumilio!

Closeup of pumilio

Comments (14)

• whatisntseen
    18 years ago

amazing terrarium right there... any inhabitants?

also, whered you get your orchids?

• back2eight
    18 years ago

there's a pumilio on there.

Really nice! Lots of plants. Looks like a great place for a thumb. How long has it been set up?

• dravenxavier
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Yes, there's a pair of Dendrobates pumilio (god, I hope it's a pair :P) in there. It's been set up for about 10 months now, maybe a little longer. Most of the orchids are from Canby Orchids, and Custom Ecos.

• whatisntseen
    18 years ago

heh,. I completely overlooked the pumilio pictures. I mean I saw them, but the first I didnt see the pumilio and the second I just didnt scroll to the right and see the close up. How long have they been in there? If youre lucky, youll see some eggs and tads in one of your broms in the near future. I have to say though, your viv completely destroys mine, but then mine is the first that is actually surviving on the most part (except my pothos which I think my crickets mostly ate like they did in the first failed viv). Whats the gallons/dimensions of your viv? Thanks for the orchid info too.

• dravenxavier
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I'm HOPING they're a pair. They're recent imports, and my wholesaler's had them for less than 3 weeks. He hasn't heard any calls, so he went on body stature, and tried to pick out his best guess at a pair. They've only been in there since March 10. The terrarium, on the other hand, has been set up since May of last year. It's a 75 gallon, 48 x 18 x 21 inches. Lighting is accomplished with 4 x 65W 6700K PC fluorescents.

• mdahms1979
    18 years ago

Your vivarium is stunning. The red bromeliads are very attractive and everything is so lush. Your frogs must feel right at home.

• whatisntseen
    18 years ago

10 gallons larger than mine,, although mine isnt necessarily as high as it should or could be.. my next will definitely be a custom high 60-80 gallon . I'll proabbly build it myself too.. I'm hoping your frogs are a pair too, I'd love to see em parent raised (as opposed to taking the eggs and raising them yourself) as its a lot more natural regardless of the fact that you dont get half as many eggs..

• dravenxavier
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Yea, the bromeliads weren't red when I added them, at least not THAT red. I'm happy with how they've turned out though. The only things not really liking it are a couple of the orchids (mainly the Oncidium flexuosum...the roots are running wild, but the leaves aren't doing great) and the moss from when I moved the tank, though that's recovering quickly.

As far as them breeding, that's what I'm hoping for. Leaving the parents to do their thing is the best way to do it, because there still is not much success when it comes to raising egg-feeders on artificial foods. Time will tell though.

• garyfla_gw
    18 years ago

Hi
    Was curious as to how you provide rest periods for the orchids.?? Do you have a problem with staying too moist and how do you handle it??
    gary

• dravenxavier
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Actually, the orchids (with the exception of the Pleurothallis and the Oncidium flexuosum, the orchids dry out rather quickly, sometimes by the end of the day. Rest period = ignoring the orchids :P

• iliketerrariums
    18 years ago

I know I use this word a lot, but here it goes.....!!INSANE!! I love your set up! I am working on getting back a custom tank that I owned once and made the mistake of selling (Im also working on getting my wifes OK!) its 2 foot x 2 foot and about three foot tall, and thats just the actual tank! all filtration, intake and output goes through the bottom of the tank! will keep you guys up to date about it, again, FANTASTIC job on your set up!

• sgmd
    14 years ago

WOW! That is breath-taking! How do you mount the plants? It looks like they're hanging off a steep hillside.

• tropichris
    13 years ago

HOW do people get their terrariums to look this good??? My plants are pretty much the same as in your tank but mine dont grow AT ALL! Not even the creeping fig!

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    13 years ago

I'm late but that is AWESOME!