Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
persistence_gw

Terrarium just finished being built

Persistence
20 years ago

Well, I took about 10 pics and this was the best. @#$@#%! camera! I'll see if I can't do better. the walls are a peat-concrete bonder mix on foam. There is a false bottom(painted over from the outside) The right hand bottom is open and is a small pond. The left back wall bulges out because that's where the pump is that pushes water up and through drip system hose to 5 locations where it drips down the wall. The branches or roots are a concrete bonder, mortar, peat mixture painted with waterproof patio paint. The light is an Ott light which puts out 800 lumens. There is a CPU fan on a dimmer switch behind the light which is tilted on a 45 deg angle towards the front glass. The last step is to build a hood.

There is more water than I will have in there normally but I wanted it to run with a lot of water for a week to see how mch the peat soaks up.

Thanks again for all the help from the people in the forum and I'll try to take better pics.

Here is a link that might be useful: terrarium

Comments (18)

• orchidsncats
    20 years ago

All I can say is 'WOW'! Nice job! So, do you want to make one for me? (LOL) Jocelyn

• Persistence
    Original Author
    20 years ago

I would love to Jocelyn but I think the shipping might be spendy. LOL It does take quite a bit of time to build but the materials were pretty cheap.

• Kate2002
    20 years ago

Wow that looks great. What size tank is it? What size/type pump did you have to use?

• Persistence
    Original Author
    20 years ago

It's a 29 gal fish tank. the pump is just an old powerhead from the fish tank.

• sahoyaref
    20 years ago

Nice work, Mike! Can't wait to see that baby full of plants, especially orchids! =)

• orchidsncats
    20 years ago

And after all the pics you took so we could see....no one visits...of at least comments on the set up! Quite different over here then the orchid gallery, huh? Have you started to add any plants? Jocelyn

• Persistence
    Original Author
    20 years ago

LOL Actually Jocelyn, I knew it would be slow. There were a few people I wanted to see it.

I need to find a way to take a pic and let my flash not go off. It's an old camera so I will keep tinkering with it. Yes, a few people from the orchid area and this area have sent me plants. I need to get another light before I add orchids.

• orchidsncats
    20 years ago

Well be sure to keep us updated with pics....can't wait to see them when it is up and running! J

• orchidsncats
    19 years ago

Just checking to see how it's doing! J

• Persistence
    Original Author
    19 years ago

here is a newer pic

Here is a link that might be useful: tank

• orchidsncats
    19 years ago

Mike...it's looking great! Amazing job you did...and now with the pond..LOL...maybe you could just send me some of your talent...LOL
    Really though, it looks wonderful. I am looking forward to see it again in a few weeks! J

• sahoyaref
    19 years ago

Sweet! Coming along nicely! I love it when the plants start to fill out and look so lush. How's the bigger one coming along? =)

• Persistence
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I wish the bigger one was coming along. I gave a contractor I work for the sizes of pieces of glass I want and he can get it wholesale but his glass guy is not calling him back so either I keep waiting or pay more and go to a glass shop. I think i will wait a bit longer even though I would love to have it up and running for the shipment of Philippine orchids that should be in soon.

hurry up and wait!!

• paul_
    19 years ago

Damn that looks great, Mike! Noticed that some 'polka dot' plants made it into your viv as well. LOL

: )

• Persistence
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I was thinking that's what that was. So, they are difficult to grow?

• mrbreeze
    19 years ago

I think the only difficulty w/ them is keeping them from getting leggy. Pinch pinch pinch! What's that super thin-leaved plant in the upper left corner? W/ thread-like leaves it appears...

• Persistence
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I can't remember the name of the fern. I have over 1500 orchids to try to remember so these other tropical I don't even look at the tags. LOL I got it at Home depot. It seems to be doing well as it keep putting out new growths at an alarming rate of speed!

• paul_
    19 years ago

Thus far I haven't had any trouble growing the polka dots in a terr. Was never able to keep them alive as a potted plant. They seem to really like the higher humidity. As Breez mentioned, the only thing you might see is some "legginess" so just pinch them every so often.

: )