Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cdfortin_gw

Red Eyed Treefrog Pic

Cdfortin
19 years ago

Just got my shipment of (6) baby Nicaraguan red eyed treefrogs. I have about 10 pics on shutterfly. Let me know what you think!

Image link:

Here is a link that might be useful: More Pictures!

Comments (8)

• xmpraedicta
    18 years ago

These are beautiful pictures! It is perfect - makes me wish I could be a frog to I could live in the wonderful home you've created! :)

-Cal

• akheadbanger
    18 years ago

Nice pics ive allways wanted to try and great a terrium for a tree frog. ( dont know that i would be to good at it , and they Are Expencive. And how hard is it to keep a Terrium like that? I have a Terrium for a couple of Smaller CP's i have. (of course i would get a new one the Cp's i ahve wouldnt hurt them unless they decided sitting on the leafs for 3 or 4 days and dealing with enzyms on them for a while would be fun) I will be debating Once again Great pics.

Cheers

• back2eight
    18 years ago

I am curious as to how you are managing a terrarium with frogs and live plants, too. I am trying to set one up and want to make sure I do it right. I want a poison dart frog in mine. The problem is if you have to treat a fungus or mold for your plants, or fertilize, then won't that kill the frog? How do you keep a good balance where everything grows and thrives the way it is supposed to?

• Cdfortin
    Original Author
    18 years ago

To answer your question, the frogs and the plants do great together. Frog tanks should have live plants - Especially if you want to keep dartfrogs!

I don't fertilize my plants because the frog waste does that for me. However, a sprig of organic fertilizer wouldn't hurt (you'd have to do a little research). Chances are you won't have any problems with mold or fungus unless you're doing something wrong. Some types of mold and fungus are actually signs of a healthy vivarium.

• back2eight
    18 years ago

I should not need fertilizer at all, except maybe to spray a little superthrive on the plants, because I am using all carnivorous plants. I will feed them whatever I feed the frog. Where did you order you tree frogs from? Are they nocturnal? One reason I wanted a dart frog is that they are supposed to not be nocturnal, which means you can enjoy them during the daytime because they will not be hiding somewhere, asleep.

• Cdfortin
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I ordered my frogs from fyb exotics (the ad is usually at kingsnake.com classifieds).

Red eye treefrogs, like virtually all treefrogs, are nocturnal. Keep in mind though, that dart frogs will definately hide. The best way to ensure that you can see your darts is to very heavily plant the terrarium. That way, they feel secure and aren't as shy.

Have you ever kept any type of frog before? Dartfrogs aren't neccessarily hard, but they're not a very good beginner's frog. Have you ever maintained fruit fly cultures? I'm not trying to discourage you, but I'm just trying to make a point that it takes a little time to get the hang or keeping dartfrogs.

Good luck.

• back2eight
    18 years ago

No I haven't, which is why I feel like I need to start with an easier frog, or at least one that is cheaper so it won't be such a loss of it dies. It is necessary to keep fruit fly cultures? Can't you feed them the dried insects that are for sell in the pet stores? I may be just proving my ignorance by asking that. I defintiely plan on learning more about keeping frogs before I just up and buy one.

• Cdfortin
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Red eye treefrogs are expensive and not very easy either. The babies eat tiny live crickets and the aldults eat medium live crickets - they won't eat anything that's not alive.

I would reccomend a white's tree frog as a good beginner frog. They're really cute and they'll eat dead foods.

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz