Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mdahms1979

Terrairum

mdahms1979
20 years ago

This is the terrarium I built out of an old 30 gallon hex tank. It was initially intended to house a pair of Epipedobates tricolor frogs but I have put their purchase on hold for a while, while I finish the tank.

The bottom is about 4" of Hydrotron pellets topped with a 3" substrate of coco peat. The plants seem to love it and the moss plugs I introduced have began to cover the surface. There are several species of epiphytic fern, orchids, bromileads, epiphytic cacti and mosses and all are doing very well. The tank is lit using one 23watt compact florescent made by Envirolite. I mist the entire tank each morning with RO water, there is no fan but the top is only 3/4 covered to allow for some airflow.

I can't wait until the plants fully establish and the orchids begin to bloom.

Image link:

Comments (7)

• Persistence
    20 years ago

very cool. I see a Lockhartia and a Bulbophyllum.

• mdahms1979
    Original Author
    20 years ago

The orchids I have in the tank are Angraecum didieri, Bulbophyllum gracillimum,Bulbophyllum macranthum, Bulbophyllum sociale, Lockhartia oerstedii, Neolauchea pulchella, a tiny Vanilla planifolia and a mini Oncidium hybrid. They are all just divisions of plants I have in my collection.

I already want to build another tank so that I can include Bromileads or find a way to add one for the frogs but there is not much space left in there.

• orchidsncats
    20 years ago

Mike- It's lovely! How long ago did you add the plants? I love the moss! What type is it? Jocelyn

• mdahms1979
    Original Author
    20 years ago

I built the terrarium about four months ago and added most of the plants then. Every now and then I will put something else in. The moss was growing in some of my Bulbo. pots so I peeled it off and planted it, it has done pretty well so far.

• garyfla_gw
    20 years ago

Hi
    Very nice!! Isn't it interesting how much more impact a plant has when you put in in a terrarium?? Somehow they look far better than when viewed in a pot .
    I know what you mean about space.Mine is already overgrown.lol
    Gary

• sahoyaref
    20 years ago

Love the variegated vine on the right, what is it? Nice set-up! I want a hex tank as well someday. What kind of bark panels are those? Where did you get them? Are they on three of the six sides? I love the look of bark. Might have to try it in my tank later. . . which is also already overgrown! I know how you feel, gary!

• mdahms1979
    Original Author
    20 years ago

I used cork bark panels and filled in the empty space with Greatstuff. There is a layer of black silicone and coco peat over the exposed foam. I covered the three back walls and left the remaining three walls free for viewing. There are also two tree fern poles, one has the climbing vine Scindapsus picta (satin pothos) growing up it and the other is still pretty bare with only some epiphytic cacti cuttings and a fern that is beginning to climb up it as well. I purchased the cork bark at a local pet store that had them for a really good price. The larger pet store chains sell cork for ridiculous prices; it's really worth shopping around.

Sponsored
M&Z Home Services LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Established Home Remodeling Expert Since 2012