Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
prc66

My small terrarium...what does it need?

prc66
19 years ago

It's missing something...but what? Any help or ideas? They would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Patty")

Comments (4)

• sahoyaref
    19 years ago

First of all, I love it! It's so cute! Second, you'll probably get more input if you post on the discussion section of the forum.
    Personally, I'm not sure why you left that open space of gravel. It looks like a small lake, with the 'trees' around it making a nice little oasis. If it is a lake, why not put some water in it? I don't mean that you should fill up the entire bottom of your nano-terr. with water, but you could hide a little bowl or dish in there, put gravel on it, and fill it with water. Or, if the whole thing is more of a mini garden, why don't you put a mini sculpture in there?

• prc66
    Original Author
    19 years ago

sahoya, I just thought it added more interest...but I think you're right...why? What is in there right now is 2 pepperomia plants, a table fern, goodyeara pubescens and a tiny ping. juamavensis.
    Thanks for the input...I may add somemore plants and get rid of the gravel all together. I have a really nice ludisia discolor that might look nice in there, and add somemore color. I was also thinking about a pink polkadot plant for additional color. I'm also thinking about putting some Oregon cushion moss in there. What do you think?
    Now if I can only get my 10gal terrarium finished!!! SHEESH!!!
    Thanks for the input!
    Patty")

• paul_
    19 years ago

Hi patty,
    What's P. juamavensis look like [flower and mature size-wise]? Haven't heard of that one : )

I'd skip the Ludisia -- I think the space there would be insufficient, it would be too big a plant, I think. Whatever you do put there should probably be smaller than the taller plants.

I personally like Sahoy's pond idea. An appropriate sized lid would serve as a good "pool" liner. In the bottom of the pool you could put your gravel, or a layer of sand, or perhaps paint the interior black [to suggest depth] then add water.

Hmmm, wonder how it would look w/ some sort of tall, slender obelisk....

• JustJodi
    19 years ago

In my opinion, a small sculpture or decorative rock would look best... although, the tiny pond idea is a good one, too. If the pond idea is adopted, I'd paint the bottom black as suggested, to mimic depth. Whatever you decide to add, you have a really great start!

I haven't had a terrarium since the mid-seventies... wow, I'm getting old! It was a small mushroom-shaped glass piece with the mushroom cap serving as the cover. I received it as a gift at my eighth grade graduation.

All these years later my interest is renewed. I have a few small aquariums and assorted glass containers to plant. This is the perfect place to gather information and ideas, and view some really nice examples.

I still think a small sculpture would work best... perhaps something with an Oriental flair? Hmmm...

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting