Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
elizabeth_24

First Terrarium

elizabeth_24
19 years ago

Here are the pictures of my first attempt at a terrarium. Special thanks goes out to Sahoy for patiently answering all of my newbie questions. :)

{{gwi:1268074}}

{{gwi:1268076}}

{{gwi:1268078}}

{{gwi:1268080}}

{{gwi:1268082}}

Comments (9)

• tiGG
    19 years ago

that's so pretty!! can you tell me what your plants are?

• elizabeth_24
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Well, there's a mini african violet in it and some baby tears. There's also two different types of ferns and an ivy in it but I don't know their "actual" names. That's not much help is it? ;0)

• mrbreeze
    19 years ago

That is very nice. It reminds me of the one my mom used to have WAY back in the day. She got me into plants years ago and now i'm trying to get her into orchids! Great job on the terrarium.

• tiGG
    19 years ago

actually Elizabeth, that did help :) I'm going to have to do one of these!

• sahoyaref
    19 years ago

VERY well done, Elizabeth! I love it! That purple AV just sparkles like a gem! Good proportions and planting scheme, too. And it's too funny, but I used the exact same glass leaf plate to cover one of my small terrs! I got mine at Superstore. They're so cheap, and it was the perfect size. Make sure you REALLY watch that english ivy. I would cut off any new leaves that appear. It will likely respond by becoming more compact and putting out smaller leaves, and possibly a couple new shoots (which you should trim). Beautiful terrarium! I really must go and buy one of those large brandy snifters. . .

• elizabeth_24
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Hurrah!!! You saw the pictures! *tee-hee* Thank you Sahoy, I was hoping you would like it and you had such nice compliments...I'm blushing! :0)

I got my plate at Walmart but you're right - it was super cheap! *LOL*

I'll definitely keep my eye on that ivy and trim off any new leaves or shoots that appear. I was a little hesitant about the ivy because I know how "long" they grow but in the end I couldn't resist.... ;)

Thank you again for all of your help Sahoy!

• SomewhereInND
    19 years ago

Saw a picture of your terrarium a few months ago. I was actually searching the web for something that had no relationship to plants (don't recall what I was looking for at the time). I have no idea how how your post to this forum showed up in my search results.

Anyway, it got me going, I now have a small terrarium, and great plans for the future. At some point, I will probably end up with multiple small terrariums.

I posted recently posted a message about my terrarium in the terrarium forum.

And this all started because of you, right now I am thanking you, but if this hobby gets out of hand, I will probably end up cursing you.

SomewhereInND

• elizabeth_24
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Woo hoo!! Another terrarium convert! My evil plan is working... ;)

• sahoyaref
    19 years ago

LOL! He/she will probably end up cursing you, Elizabeth! =) I don't think I know anyone who has just ONE terrarium! =)