Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dionaea_muscipula

Convection-ventilated terrariums

Dionaea_muscipula
19 years ago

Hello everyone

I have seen in photos (and once in person) terrariums from europe that are designed to make use of convection to ventilate themselves. They have small vents near the bottom and others at the top to allow warm air to rise and leave, with cool air coming in. This makes a lot of sense, and I'd really like to find some terrariums like this without going to (or shipping from) Germany. Has anyone here experience with these and/or know where to get them?

Some good plans would be great, as well.

Comments (5)

• Cdfortin
    19 years ago

Try this link. At the home page, scroll down and, under the "vivarium" heading, click "air (ventilation)"

http://www.poison-frogs.com

• dfourer
    19 years ago

www.poison-frogs.com link seems to be broken or the site is down.

Convection ventilation is an interesting comcept. An ultasonic fogger cascading from top to bottom will also help with ventilation I think. These are a new gadgets that are quiet, simple, and easily purchaed on the internet ($25.00). Then you get cooling, humidity, and ventilation. I might get a fogger come summer when I expect to have overheating problems.

----David

• nathanhurst
    19 years ago

I used a fogger as a cascade and almost immediately had problems with botrytus mold. It grew at a phenominal rate and I lost a lot of plants as a result.

Probably best not to use that all day.

• sahoyaref
    19 years ago

I've never heard of anyone running their fogger all day! Best to put it on a timer, and figure out how often you need to run it, which is probably only once a day, for a brief period.

I tried the poison-frogs link, and it worked for me. Try it again, I've put it below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Poison frogs

• Krstofer
    19 years ago

I've got both my foggers on humidistats- That way I can set the humidity I want and walk away.

The lights are on timers & fans are on a temperature circuit. Gets to hot fans spin up.. They turn off when the temp lowers below a set point.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths