Return to the Terrariums Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Convection-ventilated terrariums

Posted by Dionaea_muscipula Boston (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 28, 05 at 3:26

Hello everyone

I have seen in photos (and once in person) terrariums from europe that are designed to make use of convection to ventilate themselves. They have small vents near the bottom and others at the top to allow warm air to rise and leave, with cool air coming in. This makes a lot of sense, and I'd really like to find some terrariums like this without going to (or shipping from) Germany. Has anyone here experience with these and/or know where to get them?

Some good plans would be great, as well.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Convection-ventilated terrariums

Try this link. At the home page, scroll down and, under the "vivarium" heading, click "air (ventilation)"

http://www.poison-frogs.com

o

www.poison-frogs.com link seems to be broken or the site is down.

Convection ventilation is an interesting comcept. An ultasonic fogger cascading from top to bottom will also help with ventilation I think. These are a new gadgets that are quiet, simple, and easily purchaed on the internet ($25.00). Then you get cooling, humidity, and ventilation. I might get a fogger come summer when I expect to have overheating problems.

----David

o

I used a fogger as a cascade and almost immediately had problems with botrytus mold. It grew at a phenominal rate and I lost a lot of plants as a result.

Probably best not to use that all day.

o

I've never heard of anyone running their fogger all day! Best to put it on a timer, and figure out how often you need to run it, which is probably only once a day, for a brief period.

I tried the poison-frogs link, and it worked for me. Try it again, I've put it below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Poison frogs

o

I've got both my foggers on humidistats- That way I can set the humidity I want and walk away.

The lights are on timers & fans are on a temperature circuit. Gets to hot fans spin up.. They turn off when the temp lowers below a set point.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Terrariums Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here