Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
morelia_gw

Help in choosing plants for a "tropical rain garden" needed

Morelia
11 years ago

I'm looking for plants that would thrive in a tropical rain garden. I'm constructing a terrarium for a dessert lizard. The cage is very arid and most of their water they get through their food. I am constructing an oasis for him, though, in which he will get a bath anywhere from once every other week to two times a week depending on the time of year. I want this oasis to be planted, and would like some suggestions as to what to plant there. The plants will be under about 5 inches of water when he is getting his bath, but the water should subside beneath the soil level within a day or two, and the soil will most likely become almost completely dry before the process is done again. I was thinking a Hibiscus and some grasses or something. The lizard will nibble on plants, so as many options as possible are needed so I can investigate if they'd be potentially toxic to him. The cage will also be quite warm--between 80 and 105 degrees depending on the time of year/day, and be under a good full spectrum light with UVA and UVB rays.
Thank you all in advance for your help!

Comment (1)

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!