Return to the Terrariums Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Where to get terrarium plant seeds?

Posted by sdpegasus 6 ME (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 17, 05 at 10:24

Does anyone know of a place that sells seeds for plants suitable for a terrarium? I have found plenty of places that sell the plants, and, though I would love to start out with the actual plants, there is no way I can afford to do that right now, so I figure seeds are the best way to go (plus, I won't be able to set up my *real* terr for a little while anyway).

I posted a request for plants on the houseplant exchange forum because there is no terrarium plant exchange page (why is that???) but I figured I might get better luck asking here as well.

I am interested in plants, cuttings, starts and seeds. Unfortunately, I don't have much to exchange at the moment, but I would be happy to exchange what I have (check my exchange page) or send SASE or postage for anyone who is interested in doing that.

Beyond that, if anyone knows of any sites that sell seeds of appropriate plants (carnivorous, tillandsias, vines, mosses, ferns, etc.) please let me know!

Thanks.
BTW- this is a very helpful forum--I got a lot of informative responses to my first post, and read a lot of great info in many past posts. Hopefully as I get into this further I'll be able to offer some helpful info as well...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Where to get terrarium plant seeds?

Most houseplants are grown from cuttings or divisions of larger plants, so I've never seen any place that sells the seeds. I think that a packet of seeds would be just as expensive as the small pots of tropicals (great for terrariums) at places like HD and Lowes though, so why not shop around? I know that you can sometimes get spores of mosses and ferns, but they can be very tricky to germinate. HD sells 'table ferns' (various) for about a buck though. That's how I got mine. Seeds of CPs are readily available. I think Cook's sells some, and you could inquire further on the CP forum.

o

Contact me by clicking on my name. Each month I throw away or sell cuttings from my terraria . . . although shipping during this time of the year could be tricky. Let me know what you are interested in growing, but realize that you will need a terrarium into which the plant cuttings should be transferred. Otherwise, plants taken from a high humidity location are likely to turn a bit crispy and die when suddenly transplanted into drier environs.

o

I had the same questions, so I researched the internet and found a website that offers instructional videos on this topic. The videos helped me a lot, thought I would share the information.

http://homegarden.expertvillage.com/videos/terrariums-planting.htm

o

Like you, I operate on the strictest of budgets. I keep an eye on the distressed plants at local home stores. I've picked up viable plants for pocket change that just need the slightest TLC. Just today, I went to Lowe's and picked up a pitcher plant for 25 cents. They marked it down simply because the box/container was cracked. I would recommend advertising on craigslist and freecycle, too. With a pleasant request, you could probably find local generous souls willing to contribute cuttings, divisions, or even whole plants. Finally, though it's late in the season for this, do a careful survey of your neighborhood. A variety of herbs and groundcovers make suitable terr plants. I picked up some coleus from a planter outside a bank after they'd passed they're prime. The bank was happy to get rid of them, and a well-pruned coleus makes a suitable pseudo-bonsai.

Don't know if these ideas suit your needs, but I hope they can help somehow...

o

Sometimes the "99 cents" store has plants for...oh well, you know.

o

Rare exotic seeds has some nice carniverous plants and tropicals.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rare Exotic seeds

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Terrariums Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here