Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paul__gw

Example of why one should choose their plants wisely

paul_
16 years ago

Wanting a spot of color in my 55 gal bog terr, I picked up a "death row" AV from Lowes about a year ago. [Maybe it was 2 years?] Figured if the plant made it, it would give me a bit of color. If it died, no big loss. Well it didn't die. It has bloomed heavily several times and has apparently really enjoyed the terr. Too well, in fact. Unfortunately, it is now about a bit over a foot across. As such it is taking up WAY too much room [guessing about 1/2 the tank's floor space] and so in the spring must come out. Hopefully, I'll be able to find a nice trade for a miniAV or two.

{{gwi:351627}}

Comments (5)

• lucy
    16 years ago

Don't - the minis are just small when you get them, but grow up to be big over time too! If you actually buy ones labelled 'dwarf', then they will grow so slowly that it won't matter much for a long time.

• brendan_of_bonsai
    16 years ago

Or you could prune it.

• terrestrial_man
    16 years ago

Why not start a new terrarium with what you want and leave this great looking plant as is. It is so happy there! Makes me envious as I still have not gotten around to a terrarium with AFs!!! YET!!!!

• garyfla_gw
    16 years ago

Hi
    Would agree with the others lol Just divide it up. I have never been able to get AV to grow in a terrarium for any length of time ,they rot. Grow them sitting on top of the terrarium with ease have even used them as garden plants .Go figure
    Many other types of gesneriads do well but not AV. Would bet your ambient humidity is much lower than mine and your obviously not plagued with botrytis.
    What plant can you grow in a Terr. that DOESN't outgrow it anyway ??lol gary

• paul_
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I have never been able to get AV to grow in a terrarium for any length of time ,they rot. Grow them sitting on top of the terrarium with ease have even used them as garden plants .

Hmmm, that surprises me, Gary. I've never had trouble growing AVs in terrs. Besides the one above, I currently have a bunch of "mini" AVs growing happily in my orchid terr. (They're doing FAR better than the one I've been trying to grow out in the room in the little selfwatering pots.) Also know of a woman on the AV forum who grows AVs in terrs. Wonder what the "secret" is? If I knew I'd be happy to tell you.

Many other types of gesneriads do well but not AV. Would bet your ambient humidity is much lower than mine and your obviously not plagued with botrytis.

The big one posted above is in my bog terr. Haven't checked the humidity but it is covered by both the glass lid/splash gurad [whatever the correct name is for it] & the light hood and there is no air circulation to speak of. *Note: There is about 1/2 inch opening in front and back on top as the glass lid isn't quite as deep as the tank -- but I still doubt there's much air circulation. Add to that, that when I water I'm not all that careful about whether or not water gets on the leaves.

The orchid terr's humidity is usually around 66-70% -- sometimes higher. That terr does have good air circulation as I have 2 PC fans that run 24/7. Again when watering, the AV leaves get drenched but I'm sure the constant breeze keeps it from being a problem.