Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
foxykitten350234

Some pictures of my terrarium

foxykitten350234
18 years ago

Since ya'll have helped me so much I figured it was time to share some pictures of my terrarium. It is still a work in progress:)

{{gwi:1268619}}
{{gwi:1268620}}
{{gwi:1268621}}
Any suggestions are more then welcome.

Foxy.

Comments (8)

• lucy
    18 years ago

Looks very interesting, but I'd really like to see a picture taken from just a bit further away, more of an overall view! I never thought to put my gynura in mine, so thanks for the hint!

• garyfla_gw
    18 years ago

Hi
    Does look very interesting.Overall pix would be nice. How about the particulars.size, plants ,lighting animals substrates.. What is the clover shaped plant??
    gary

• foxykitten350234
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I must confess that during the dry winter here some items have sought refuge in the terrarium and don't give it an appealing look right now. Things like a 4" pot of garlic and Mango seeds.lol That is why there are just close up's at the moment:)

Lucy, I didn't think I had a gynura in mine. Which plant are you looking at?

Umm... the clover is common everyday clover. It snuck it's way in with the moss.

It is a 20 gal long aquarium. No animals inside, only cats who lay on top of the lid. The substrate is a layer of small rocks, a layer of charcoal and a layer of soiless mix including perltie, sand and pine bark. The pond is a plastic saucer with a layer of sand. This idea didn't work. It doesn't hold water so I'm headed back to the drawing board on that one.

Off the top of my head the plants are:
    -Peace lily
    -Satin pothos
    -Small citrus cuttings (being rooted)
    -Small Ficus B.
    -A mix of spider plants
    -Philodendron micans
    -Begonia (Midnight twist)
    -Philodendron "lemon lime"
    -Goldfish plant
    -Thanksgiving cacti cuttings (being rooted)
    -Parlor palm
    -Wandring Jew
    And others that I'm either forgetting or don't know the names of at this time. I know some of these plants will out grow things quickly and will need to be removed.

As soon as I tidy things up a bit more I will take pictures of the whole tank and share them with ya'll.

Foxy.

• lucy
    18 years ago

Oh, I just looked again and I guess it's the overall purple haze :-) that made it look like one of the A. violets and/or begonias was a gynura, but I guess not!

• garyfla_gw
    18 years ago

Foxy
    Always fun to experiment with different types of plants.
    i grow a spider plant in mine tucked into a fold of expanding foan. No media at all.Interestingly it never produces "pups" like the pot grown ones nor does it grow as fast. i find that if I don't use media I get a much slwer growth rate though some will croak right away lol. My goal is to maintain it in a static state.Very slow controlled growth. Have had some successes but lots of disappointments One surprise was a Boston fern that turne aquatic.Runners actually sprout underwater!!.
    I also use it to sprout palm seeds but of course they can't stay in there very long but I get at least 3 times the germination rate of other methods.
    Personally,I think there is no such thing as a landscaped terraium except for short periods of time. The plants either croak, overgrow or become leggy.
    Thanks for th comments
    gary

• sahoyaref
    18 years ago

LOL, gary! I totally agree! People always say what a gorgeous terrarium I have (had) because they're looking at the pics I took just after I had revamped it. It only looked that good for about a week, and then the polkadot plant died, the leaves began to drop off the aluminium plant, and the persian shield rotted away. *sigh* There really is no such thing as a landscaped terrarium over the long term, unless all you're growing is moss. =)

• deadhamster
    18 years ago

It can be done! Mine was planted over 6 months ago. It's not perfect, and it needs some more plants, but every set of pictures looks better than the last :)

-DH

• garyfla_gw
    18 years ago

DH
    I guess if it was easy it wouldn't be nearly as much fun . My goal is one of those picture perfect "dutch terrariums" I think I've made a lot of progress toward the
    ideal.At least I've learned a lot of things that don't work lol
    gary

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus