Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
yurtle_the_turtle

Want to get a terrarium lots of questions need suggestions pleas

I want to get a terrarium, I've thought about it for a long time, so I have a good idea about what I want, but need help getting there. I want to have a 1/2-2 inch deep river about 3-5 inches wide going from one side of the tank to the other. I would like a waterfall at the beginning (left side) of the river to feed it and at the end (on the right side of the terrarium) it would open up to a pool of water about 5-6 inches deep and 6-8 inches in length, the pool would be against glass from back to front of tank on right side, and it would be at same water level as river just deeper. The waterfall would be supplied with water from the pool somehow hopefully filtering it as well. It would need to have access to the main land of the terrarium that small turtles (probably mud turtles) would be able to climb up, this would need to look natural too, don't want any straight lines in the pool except for terrarium glass, so some sort of inclination like a pebble beach. I want the water to be separated from the land by glass or something else, so between the river bed material and land material, (same as river bed material, wondering what would work good, probably stones, but idk) there would be a half pipe of glass or pvc pipe, there would also be something between pool and land, at the highest point of the 'beach'. I would like the water not to flow very fast as well, since the river is at the pool water level that makes it easier since the waterfall isn't filling the river. What plants could go in here, and I'm really wondering what other reptiles, fish, or amphibians could go with the mud turtles which will grow to a max size of 3 or 4 inches. Feel free to suggest different dimensions or ways to make it look more natural. Really need to know how to make the setup work, how much it will cost, what materials I should use. How big of a terrarium do I need, for whatever suggestions you have to put in with the turtle(s). I was looking at mudskippers, or newts could they go with them? I was thinking of getting an 24x18x12 but can go higher to incorporate a lizard of some sort if this tank set up would work for a lizard. What do turtles need? lighting, filtration, cleaning, I need all these things to come together in the most efficient way possible, don't want to clean up lots of crap. How the heck am I going to pull this off?Please help me sorry about the confusing structure of this post, any suggestions would be awesome and changes to my plans would be good to, I want this to look great and house turtles and something else besides turtles (if possible) great, have no experience except for a fish tank and previous lizard, would be getting rid of fish tank for this, don't have a lot of money, but would save up don't know how much all the stuff will cost, but estimating 1000+ don't want to spend that much. Never seen anything like what I'm trying to do and really excited about this, with your help it will be amazing thanks!

Comments (9)

• cooperdr_gw
    9 years ago

Sounds like a big project. I guess the place to start would be a large pet supply store- just to look around at first. Places like Petco and Petsmart would have animal safe stuff like gravels and plastic little rock dishes- stuff like that. Aquarium pumps and aquariums. Would you just buy a fishtank for all of this stuff?

• yurtle.the.turtle
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm gunna get a terrarium from petco I think depending on what people say, I've looked around a lot there, and at every pet store within 15 miles of my house, I need suggestions on what to get though, depending on your suggestions for compatible things with turtles and plants, etc.

• cooperdr_gw
    9 years ago

Jewel Orchids are really cool looking and good in terrariums. They don't look anything like a flowering orchid plant. The only problem is they're a little expensive and the turtles could eat them- maybe not if they had lettuce to munch on. Check out Jewel Orchids on the internet or ebay.

• yurtle.the.turtle
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks I might get some they look pretty neat, any more suggestions? I need a lot of help with this, since it's my first terrarium, and I know very little about terrariums.

• cooperdr_gw
    9 years ago

Well a lot of people try to grow moss in terrariums but it's not easy. There's a product I saw at the pet store called Frog Moss that claims to actually spring back to life in a Terrarium but I'm skeptical. It could kind of go bad. There are some people on here who are really good at growing moss though. If there's enough water in parts you can get aquarium plants. Actually you'd probably want some because it might make the water quality better.

• yurtle.the.turtle
    Original Author
    9 years ago

thanks there's definitely enough water I think

• paul_
    9 years ago

You have a lot of research ahead of you. Start by determining the type of turtle(s) you want and what their needs are.

Unfortunately, keeping live plants with turtles is usually an exercise in futility. Even if the turtles don't eat the plants they will still beat the daylights out of them. (Think about how outside in one's yard the damage dogs do to areas of a lawn. One often gets dirt paths from where the dogs frequently run.)

Keeping other animals with the turtles is also not generally a good idea. The turtles may decide to snack upon the other animals or the other animals make secrete toxins that would harm the turtles.

• keithgh
    9 years ago

yurtle.the.turtle

I am very sorry to say you are heading down the road full speed ahead towards destruction with what you would like to do.

My advice would be start again on what turtle you can get then the housing you "can" give it."

Then start designing the housing.

Here is a starting point for you

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=tanks+for+turtles&hl=en&rlz=1Q1GGLD_enAU499AU499&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=zd7NVPbbO-HUmAWZpoDYBg&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAQ&biw=1187&bih=701#hl=en&tbm=isch&q=aquariums+for+turtles

Keith

• woodnative
    9 years ago

Yes this will be a bit of a challenge with the combination of a live turtle and live plants etc. Turtles are messy. That being said mud turtles or the common 'Stinkpot' (bad name!) is really one of the best turtles for a pet as they do stay small and have easy care.......they do not require the space of the common sliders which get huge!! However, the more space the better. A hatchling musk (cute as can be) could stay in a smaller set-up for some time. You could try to get the small common water snails to establish in the water area (the turtle will probably eat these faster than they can reproduce but they are a great food for it). Guppies....a common strain of the wild type guppies may do well in there. I have an easy strain of guppies....lyretail type......in jars and an unheated tank in my office etc. that are very hardy. Some of the plants sold as aquatic plants.....like the Cryptocorynes, are slow growing, don't require bright light, and grow well submerged or emergent in a moist terrarium. They are also readily available and may work well in your situation.