Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bilgerat_gw

Vivarium lighting

bilgerat
18 years ago

I'm starting to build my first viv and have learned alot from reading the posts here. I have a 55gal tank (48w x 12d x 18t) so far I've installed a false bottom with a pond area and a waterfall feeding the pond. I'll be using cork panels and fern tree root for the backround, several pieces of wood will be in the tank, one of which is almost as tall as the tank. I,m not sure what kind of plants will be going in yet, but I will probably be keeping a couple of firebelly toads and a couple of green anoles in it. My question is, what kind of lighting will be necessary. I know the lizards will need uva and uvb, and should have a basking area. I've been looking at a zoomed 48" sliding hood that contains a place for one 36" T-8 or T-12 fluorescent tube and 3 porcelain sockets that can handle up to 150 watt lights. Useing a reptisun 5.0 tube and one or two incandescents for basking. I've read that one tube will probably not be enough for plants and was wondering if I could just supplement the tube with one or two compact fluorescents. I know alot depends on the plants I choose, and I'm still researching that, so any help in that area would also be appreciated.

Comments (4)