Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alexis_gw

Terrarium exchange forum idea I posted on the Suggestions forum

alexis
18 years ago

Just wanted everyone to know that I posted a suggestion for an exchange forum for this forum on the Comments and Suggestions forum. So please feel free to visit there and post your comments on the suggestion. I thought it would be a good idea to have an exchange forum on this forum because people could trade terrarium decorations, plants, tank supplies, etc. I personally find it hard to find plants suitable for terrariums and even if you visit the tropicals forum, the tropicals exchange might not have the plants or tank supplies that people on the terrarium forum might have. Just an idea for a new forum that I had.

Comments (8)

• deadhamster
    18 years ago

Sounds good. I am preparing 2 stem cuttings and 3 stem seperations from my nepenthes alata as we speak :)

-DH

• back2eight
    18 years ago

Yes, it is a great idea. I have wondered why they don't have one already. On the orchids forum they even have an "off topic" section where they just basically chat and get to know each other. But apparently it is a more active forum than this one. We have been doing exchanges, it just has been posted here in the discussions. I talk on the carnivorous plants forum and they have an exchange section that rarely gets used, though. So I go to another website for my exchanges of those plants. And also on dendroboard they do a lot of exchanges of terrarium plants and supplies, but I would do it here instead of there if one was formed. I didn't know there was a suggestion place!

• deadhamster
    18 years ago

I think the reason they don't have one is because it is redundant. If you want an orchid, you can get it in the orchid forums exchange. Nepenthes? yep, carnivorous plant forum. Having a terrarium exchange means people have to post in 2 places. Even so, I will post there. I've got some nepenthes alata to trade and in a few months I should have heaps of bromeliads. Maybe even some aroids and some vines. We'll see.

-DH

• back2eight
    18 years ago

Yeah, but for people who don't know that much about plants, having a terrarium exchange is a great idea. It also keeps you from having to go to different forums to find the plants that you want. and it doesn't have to be limited to plants, but anything that you can use in a terrarium. Rocks, wood, parts, etc. Outside of carnivorous plants, I don't know that much about them, certainly not enough to go to the orchid froum for example and ask for one by name that would go good in a terrarium.

• iliketerrariums
    18 years ago

I must agree with back2eight, it would help ME a whole lot to be able to trade with members that have terrariums and would know what I was talking about when I tell them about my terrarium plant needs, others just do not grasp the idea that were growing in a limited space and most time contained environment, so yeah, I think its a great idea (not to mention that I stated this idea in my post."up for grabs!) =)

• whatisntseen
    18 years ago

I think it's a great idea! I may have only been on this site for a mere 5 days or soi, but I've browsed around enough to know the ins-and-outs of gardenweb and find it difficult to go from one exchage forum to the next simply tp see whats up for grabs, imasgine if I truly wanted something and posted.I know that I've been searching for some nice ghost wood or other nice woods from places other than black jung;e and would like some really really nice, terratium appropriate broad-leaved lpants and orchids for the one I'm making now, but when I went in serch I realized that the majority are extremely large and too waterintolerant or the like. Not to mention most ferns in the fern exchage are staghorns. If I wanted one of those, I'd get it from my backyard, but I'm not in need of one.hell if there was an exchange here I think it may even be as easy as saying " I need large plants for my WTFs(white's tree frogs) and possibly get a few good offers. I think this idea is a great one.... two thumbs up.. I'll give my go ahead in the other forum as well!

-Andrew

• mrbrownthumb
    18 years ago

If you agree follow the link and post that you would like to have an exchange area in the terrarium forum.

Here is a link that might be useful: Vote Yes Here for an Exchange

• paul_
    18 years ago

*bump*

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz