Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ashithk

Terrarium Setup Query

ashithk
13 years ago

i am planning to start a terrarium in a fish bow (9.5 inches tall).

i plan to grow different varities of syngonium. are these the right type that can thrive in high humidity

the drainage layer + soil + plants (i plan to use) will be around 8inches. is this ok? will the plants soon outgrow the terrarium.

the fish bowl has a loose fitting ventilated cover (with that has a socket for a light bulb. i plan to put a 5 or 15 w cfl bulb. is that ok? need to do that as this terrarium is going to be @ the office which has no natural light/windows

this is a link to picturs of the fishbow/cover and plants i plan to use

https://picasaweb.google.com/gen.kamath/Terrarium?feat=directlink

Comments (5)

• asaund
    13 years ago

I don't grow syngonium but when I did a quick google search it would probably do fine in high humidity ESP if it doesn't get a lot of light. You would prob have to prune pretty heavily though.
    Am concerned about amount of space bet plants and light you plan on using. Wasn't able to view pics. There are a lot of choices for plants in terrarium though.
    I just made one w baby tears, fern, and polka dot plant. I feel less is more w terrariums. Here is one I made for my mom...

Let us know what you decide please and how it works.
    Take care, Amy

• ashithk
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Amy,

yes i am concerned about the distance between the light and the plants as well...... but ive tried to grow these plants in the office (in regular pots), under the usual cfl lighting (ceiling) and they didnt work out...so im sure that ill have to use a cfl for the same..

do you recon any plants (apart from pothos, which i have a lot & thrives) that i could grow in a windowless office.

& that terrarium youve posted here is so beautiful. simply loved the candle youve used. wouldnt have thought of it...

• asaund
    13 years ago

Thank you, ashithk, for the kind words. I had a lot of fun running around looking for small items/ plants to put in there.
    I got a lot of ideas from a website - storm the castle.com - I think. He does a l lot of terrariums.
    What do you think of moss? I know it sounds kinda plain but you could liven it up with rocks or branches or other decorations, maybe a dollhouse telephone ( since it's going in an office). I don't think moss needs a lot of sun but you do have to spray it everyday, so I don't know how to work that over the weekend.... Just brainstorming here.
    Look up pics on Internet and see how you like -
    Creeping fig ( ficus pumila ) .
    Creeping Charlie ( pilea nummulariifolia)
    Irish moss ( selaginella kraussiana 'brownii' )
    Button fern ( pellaea rotundifolia)
    Baby's tears ( don't know other name )
    African violets
    Also you may want to check out violet barn under terrarium.
    Take care. Amy
    Ps. Let us know how it works and give us pictures! Lol

• terrestrial_man
    13 years ago

The syngonium will get too big for your fish bowl.
    Check out the link below for plant ideas.

Here is a link that might be useful: Glasshouseworks Terrarium Plants

• ashithk
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi
    finally setup the terrarium i planned for my office desk. using a 5watt cfl bulb as we get no natural light..... (office lighting is an overhead (12 feet)clf tube....)

some of the plants i used were
    1. Episcias Butter Oak
    2. Alteranthera
    3. Pilea cardierei
    Thanks to user "venezuela" for helping me id these plants

4) Also found some "Portulaca oleracea (purslane)" growing between the paver block foothpath (mumbai, india) & used that.

4 varieties i havent been able to ID.

a close up of the terrarium

& the terrarium @ my desk

Thanks Amy & "terrestial man" for taking the time to help out

Ashith.

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm