Return to the Terrariums Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to know if they are minis?

Posted by Corry_Engelbrecht none (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 11, 13 at 1:51

I'm wanting to put together a terrarium. I don't have many places to buy in the area. I have a Walmart, a Home Depot, and a Menards. During the summer there is a place nearby that has TONS of plants and trees, but I'm pretty sure it's primarily outdoor stuff and I'm not sure I'd find anything for a terrarium. I do recall finding some things at Home Depot last year in teeny tiny pots (I bought one that I've recently identified as Jade) . . . they don't have any in right now, but I assume they'll get them back when it gets warmer out. The problem is, I'm finding that so few things at these places are marked as to what they are. The teeny tiny pots at Home Depot were marked 'succulent'. How do I know if something is a mini version? Can someone point me to a website with reasonable prices?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to know if they are minis?

Hi Corry,

You can be pretty sure that the plants in Walmart, Home Depot and Menards are not true miniatures. They will all grow up eventually. You need to go someplace where they sell true miniature plants. Here are few places that have miniature plants.

The Violet Barn - Look under Terrarium and Miniature Plants.

Lyndon Lyon - Click on online store and then click on terrarium plants.

Black Jungle - They also have some small terrarium plants.

I hope this helps!

Larry

o

Thank you so much!

o

Hi....look for places the sell plants for fairy gardens.....lots of mini plants there...I have found some really nice ground cover plants that are very small with tiny leaves....just a idea.....this coming spring I am going to get some and make a fairy garden in a terrarium...I have 2, 5 gal jars one is the shape a car, the other is a pig.......linda

o

Even with the sites Larry mentioned, you would be best off -- before purchasing -- make a list of the plants you are interested in and contact the vendor to inquire just how big (tall and wide) the plant(s) will get. Then use those measurements to determine what will fit in your container.

*Note: Generally speaking, cacti and succulents are NOT good candidates for terrariums -- especially if this is your first terr.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Terrariums Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here