Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ishara_gw

Bonsai terrarium??

ishara
16 years ago

I purchased a bonsai gardenia tree last summer & at the time it was loaded with flower buds - not a single one of which bloomed! I realize now I made several mistakes: put it on a bright, south-facing windowsill (when it much prefers indirect light); probably didn't water frequently enough (it dried out between waterings); and didn't use a humidity tray. While I've corrected all three issues, I'm beginning to wonder whether the humidity situation might work better if I housed the tree in a terrarium.

Does anyone on the forum have experience with bonsai plants in their terrariums and/or any other thoughts, suggestions, tips?? Thanks in advance!

Comments (7)

• terrestrial_man
    16 years ago

I would not use it in a terrarium.
    Here is a link below to a commercial site on general care of your type of bonsai.
    I recommend checking out more sites on general gardenia care for additional insights.

Here is a link that might be useful: commercial page on care of gardenia bonsai

• ishara
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the link terrestrial man...I'll continue to seek advice on gardenias in general.

Any particular reason why you wouldn't recommend using it in a terrarium?

• terrestrial_man
    16 years ago

Here is more info on growing.
    While the plant can handle it up to 80F I think most are
    happy with cool moist roots (like camellias) and
    excellent drainage.
    Notice the leaves. I do not think humidity is an issue
    with this type of plant.

Here is a link that might be useful: how to grow gardenias

• garyfla_gw
    16 years ago

Hi
    I grow several types of tropical trees which are maintained dwarf as well as potted. All but two have been moved out of terrariums due to size.
    You might be able to grow the gardenia in a terraium but certainly not the species of choice lol. Gardenias are tough for lots of people including me lol. They have all kinds of problems. Interesting that I can grow gardenia in the yard but will kill it in a pot every time.
    There are many other species that would be better choices for a terrarium than gardenia.. but who knows might work but I'd bet it will be tough gary

• gold3nku5h
    15 years ago

Would a mango sprout do alright if it were potted, and placed in a terrarium?

• terrestrial_man
    15 years ago

Mango? Give it a try.
    You may have to prune the roots some as it grows and
    perhaps reshape its trunk. Got any bonsai type wire?

• suprdude
    15 years ago

I have a bonsai ficus in mine and it is doing well. It's the centerpiece of the whole tank.