Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tuddie_gw

first time setting up enclosed growing area

tuddie
17 years ago

My project is a 66"tall X 25"deep X 25"wide antique dessert display case that I would like to turn into a vivarium (?).

This piece of furniture is oak and is built similarly to the very common antique oak refrigerator that you see in antique shops. However this unit is much taller and has original double pane glass on 3 sides (40" X 24" solid glass). On the forth side there are two 20 X 20 glass doors trimmed in oak and a 10 X 20 oak door above which accesses the heavy tin lined compartment which held a block of ice to cool the contents of the display case. There is a metal pipe which runs down from the ice compartment which drained the compartment as the ice melted. I detail that compartment to you because it provides a possible place for a lighting system, including the pipe which is large enough to accommodate a plug and cord being dropped down it, exiting under the unit for plug in. What I need help with is proper lighting. I have done some research and have some ideas, but I only want to do this once so I joined this forum because I need input.

I can light the area from above, or, as I will be removing the doors to help with circulation and turning the door side toward the wall, I could mount a vertical reflector to the wall behind the unit. The plant I want to grow in the enclosure is Hoya. It is a very easy plant to grow as a standard houseplant and the flowers are incredible. However, proper light is critical in order to get lots of blooms. I will be hanging five 6" pots at varied levels (young plants) inside of the case as well as some type of humidity producing thingy down below. I would appreciate information about bulb choices, reflectors, wattage suggestions, circulation, and how do I keep from frying the plants. Whatever you think will help this project be successful.

Comment (1)