Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deweymn

Hexagon shaped bottle

deweymn
17 years ago

Been looking around on all the info on terrariums here on Garden Web. Thanks to all who share their experience.

I picked up this hexagon bottle, made in Italy embossed on the bottom.

It is 13" tall upright or 8" tall laying on its side. It has an opening of 4-1/2" . Also, it has a 3/4" round cut opening about 2" from the base. Seemed like a good buy at $2 and at the time I thought 'Terrarium'.

Here is what I have for supplies from gardening:

Cow manure

Peat moss

Planting or potting soil

coconut mats from hanging baskets

2 ice creme buckets of polished agates

10lb bag of pea gravel

Bag of sand

Left over items from past fish/terreriums projects such as bark pieces, rocks, coral

Now, the stupid question:

How should I build the base soil? Having a larger opening like I do should make it easy to insert things.

I have thought of making a small hill or slope towards the front as this container sits on one of it's hex sides. I can also use a small aquarium light from a hexogon style aquarium I have. This should attach well to one of the hex sides on the back side.

I want to do the base right and avoid using the wrong mixtures. Also I plan on sterilizing items that will be accents.

I also have a small fan that runs off of a Size D battery. I have several rechargeable batts also. I will direct air into the 3/4" opening thru vinyl tubing if the need arises for more air flow. That will come later.

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz