Return to the Terrariums Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is a filter necessary?

Posted by back2eight South MS (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 28, 06 at 11:59

I am hoping that I won't have to use a filter in my new tank. I will have it seeded with springtails, and the waterfall will flow down to a pond. It will house dart frogs, but I'm hoping that with the springtails and the plants I won't need a filter. I will have aquatic plants in the pond, too. I can do partial water changes by siphoning water out of the pond when needed. I am hoping that won't even be necessary if the tank will work like a micro-climate and hopefully self clean the water.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is a filter necessary?

Micro/self contained-climates dont work completely on their own for to long a time, they need a little help =) I was going to add a filter to my set up but didnt at the end, I to chose to do partial water changes every two weeks or so, But I really dont see what harm a filter would do? It would be benificial I would think, I just chose not to use it becuase it would be just another item to buy, have you seen the prices on canister filters lately! and you still have to do water changes even with the filter! I had a couple of frogs in an old set up and boy can they go! and chose to do so in the water! so needless to say the water got a bit nasty even with a filter, so yeah, water changes to me are a must!

o
RE: Is a filter necessary?

I would think that the filter would need to be cleaned, so it still doesn't make it maintenance free. I will probably just not use one, I can do water changes. Thanks! I was thinking "out loud".

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Terrariums Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here