Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kvijayakiran

Lucky Bamboo

kvijayakiran
19 years ago

Hello Friends,

I am very new to this terrariums. Please tell me is it possible to create a closed terrarium with lucky bamboo alone.Because it would not require any soil . Can make a terrarium with some gravel, water and lucky bamboo? Please direct me.

kvijayakiran

Comments (3)

• sahoyaref
    19 years ago

You would have to have an EXTREMELY tall terrarium, because that lucky bamboo would just keep growing and growing (the leaves, not the original stem). Also, lucky bamboo is very easy to grow without a terrarium, so why would you bother?

• kvijayakiran
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks for your response SAhoyaref. Already, I cut off the leaf parts from the stems and they got roots also. Our place is very hot and dry. I came to know that these lucky bambooes grow in humid atmosphere. So I want to make a terrarium with them. And I felt it is very very simple to start with lucky bamboo. As an enthusiastic beginner, I can immediatly start a terrarium with them and can feel that humidity inside the bottle before collecting the material needed for an ideal terrarium.Now I already put them in a glass bottle. Soon they overgrow, I just put them back in normal. Thank you once again

• SeanGnome
    10 years ago

I converted my 20 gallon tall glass fish tank into a semi closed lucky bamboo terrarium. It was pretty easy because I already had gravel and decorations, an underwater heater and the lucky bamboo. I have 5 24" lucky bamboo stalks that are planted in the water with the leaves above the terrarium and I made cuttings of three of them to start new plants. The cuttings are in mason jars sitting on top of the gravel surrounded by water inside and out of the mason jars and the heater heats up the water which creates the humidity they love. I also have a glass hinged top with about a 1" gap at the back to allow for the taller bamboo stalks and some air circulation. I add bottled water with GreenGreen fert when the water level drops, and do water changes with my python fish gravel vac about twice a month. When the cuttings get too tall, I will either take the lid off and just let the humidity escape around them or plant them in a regular vase and give them as gifts.