Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
iliketerrariums

Help identify these plants ! =)

iliketerrariums
18 years ago

Can anyone please help identify the three pinkish plants at the top left of the pic? Also, please let me know if you think they will do well in the empty spaces at the top of my set up =) reason being the local home depot has them on sale for about two bones each, and I figure if they will work well why order broms!? =) Thanks, Just copy and paste please =)

http://www.wildsky.sakura.ne.jp/vivarium/alec06020702.jpg

Comments (8)

• iliketerrariums
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I just got back from Home Depot, I just went ahead and picked up four of the "Cryptanthus Bivittatus" for $2.50 each, I found the following Info at "Famous Daves Garden Web site" Thanks anyways! =)
    Detailed information on Earth Star, Starfish Plant 'Pink Starlite' (Cryptanthus bivittatus)

Family: Bromeliaceae (bro-mee-lee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
    Genus: Cryptanthus (krip-TAN-thus) (Info)
    Species: bivittatus (biv-it-TAY-tus) (Info)
    Cultivar: Pink Starlite
    Additional cultivar information: (aka Pink Starlight)

Category:
    Tropicals/Tender Perennials

Height:
    under 6 in. (15 cm)

Spacing:
    12-15 in. (30-38 cm)

Hardiness:
    USDA Zone 10a: to -1.1°C (30° F)
    USDA Zone 10b: to 1.7° C (35° F)
    USDA Zone 11: above 4.5° C (40° F)

Sun Exposure:
    Sun to Partial Shade
    Light Shade

Danger:
    Plant has spines or sharp edges; use extreme caution when handling

Bloom Color:
    White/Near White

Bloom Time:
    Mid Spring
    Late Spring/Early Summer
    Mid Summer

Foliage:
    Grown for foliage

Other details:
    This plant is suitable for growing indoors
    Requires consistently moist soil; do not let dry out between waterings

Soil pH requirements:
    Unknown - Tell us

Propagation Methods:
    By dividing rhizomes, tubers, corms or bulbs (including offsets)

Seed Collecting:
    Unknown - Tell us

By jody

By palmbob

By kbuzz829

By giancarlo

By giancarlo

Profile:1 positive

• mdahms1979
    18 years ago

They are all Cryptanthus plants, they do very well in terrariums and although they are often mounted they are actually terrestrial bromeliads.

• garyfla_gw
    18 years ago

Hi
    The only problem I've found with the "earth stars" is they are very light demanding.Try to mount them so water doesn't collect on the leaves and close to the light source.
    As Mike says they are actually terrest. but I find they do much better mounted.
    gary

• iliketerrariums
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hey Gary, What method do you use to mount them? as I noticed that many people have different opinions as to the care of the "earth stars" some say let the soil dry out in between waterings, some say keep the soil moist and whatever I do dont let the soil dry out, some say mount, some say terrest...Im confused!? =) But really, I found out that the one plant I have mounted in the upper right is possibly some type of aloe (succulant) but the aloes I use in my last tank were mounted and did very well, as is the current plant mentioned, it has accually grown what appears to be a "pup" on top of it and has what looks like "roots" on the bottom of the "pup", so, I will try whatever you guys think, if it doesnt work to well I will try another method till it does! =)

• mdahms1979
    18 years ago

Your Aloe like plant is probably a Haworthia maxima or another Haworthia species. Gary is right about making sure that the Cryptanthus has good light otherwise it will loose its bright colouration.

Here is a link that might be useful: Haworthia info

• garyfla_gw
    18 years ago

Tony
    Well you may be asking the wrong person as I've killed a few of these.lol Mostly from rot in a terrarium.
    Note that Dave says to keep constantly moist which is true in bright sun.
    I'd make an indentation in your surface and wrap the roots in a bit of long fibered shagnum. I'd mount in the brightest area at an angle so the crown will drain. If it's unstable add a bit of silicone to hold it in place. Once established you can remove the shagnum or leave it.
    I love shagnum fo almost any type of epi. Almost impossible to overwater and it resists molds and fungus.
    I'd bet you'll have better luck with the pink type. The blacks require a lot of light.
    gary

• alexis
    18 years ago

I've seen those earth star plants before at my local Home Depot but since I have a dart frog in the big tank, I'm kind of wary of them because of the spines. Wouldn't they puncture the skin of a frog or hurt a frog that would sit underneath them with their sharp spines?

• iliketerrariums
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I would say yes, although I have never seen a PDF jump!? is that weird or what!? Ive never kept them myself, and Ive only seen them at the Phila zoo, but I spent many hours sitting there looking at the frogs and the set ups and theres two things I noticed about thier frogs, I never saw them jumping, and I never saw them climbing!? Dont get me wrong, they are very active little critters! and I did see them climb the little hills and valleys on thier search for food, but never once have I seen them actually jump or climb up onto a branch!? not saying they dont, just never saw them do it, I have a plant that has very sharp spines on the leaves (papa gayo) but all I have are three anoles and a WTF, soon I will have none, as I will be giving them to a friend, I will be trying just plants as I seem to manage to get at least one critter killed every time I set up a tank =( dont want to risk the others.