Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
homer_zn5

Dischidia pectinoides

homer_zn5
19 years ago

Okay, almost everything grows like mad in my terrarium. Dischidia pectinoides is one exception to that rule for me. I have kept it just hanging on for about one year now. It is about the same size as when I bought it, and it bloomed just as soon as I put it in the terrarium . . . but only once or twice since then.

It is mounted epiphytically on a coco fiber background (just like the stuff you use in wire baskets), and gets sprayed every once in a while. Is it just not moist enough? Does it really like to be fertilized (hard to believe for an epiphyte, when I have tons of epiphytes that just get a little fish emulsion every once in a while)? Who has the secret to this dilemma?

Comments (12)

• dvknight
    19 years ago

Homer,

High, hot and dry feet...It's taken me 2+ years, but I think I've got it...

• paul_
    19 years ago

Alas, mine died -- think mine was kept too dry perhaps. Really bummed about that. Haven't been able to find it again.

• dvknight
    19 years ago

...dry feet, but high humidity.

• homer_zn5
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks, David. What type of substrate do you have yours mounted upon? Mine is under nearly identical conditions to what you have described, but still not fluorishing.

Do they require air movement or fertilization?

• dvknight
    19 years ago

The original cut end of the mother plant is in coconut chips and the rest is suspended from a wire. I have taken a clipping and placed in directly on cork bark (no substrate)in my pumilio tank. It is rooting into the cork.

I have no special air flow besides the daily opening of the terrarium/vivarium every day to mist. I think the key might be to mount them without any type of substrate, so that they do not have the opportunity to stay wet. My problem in the past was always rotting. I do not use any fertilizer, only r/o water. Maybe try a very diluted orchid mix?

Speaking of ant plants, I have managed to keep my Lecanopteris alive for a year as well!

How have you been Homer?

• homer_zn5
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks, David. I'll try taking some cuttings and putting them in my coco husk substrate. I've been doing well. It's good to see you again.

• gazania_gw
    19 years ago

Well, I guess I (or my dischidia pectinoides) is in trouble. I got it 10 days ago at Lowes, not having a clue about it's needs. It is in a plastic pot. Planted in I don't know what, but feels like bark chips where I can get my finger in and is still very moist to the finger feel. There are several tiny red buds on it but today I see that some have shriveled a little. None have opened. I have it in a very bright sunlit room, but am keeping it out of direct sun. Should I remove it from it's pot and then what should I do to make it happy?

• dvknight
    19 years ago

How does everyone in the rest of the country find such great plants at big box stores!!!???

• sahoyaref
    19 years ago

I know! And I find even fewer good plants here in Canada. Y'all are spoiled! =)

• dvknight
    19 years ago

No sooner than I speak do I find 5 excellent D. pentinoides plants at Home Depot in Phoenix. Unbelieveable; this is defintely the best plant purchase I've made at a store in this area.

• gazania_gw
    19 years ago

Sounds like I don't deserve this plant.

• dvknight
    19 years ago

Currently, I have the plants I purchased (the first I've had outside of a terrarium) hanging on a rack underneath 2 40 watt 6500 K bulbs over a tray of water. I mist the plants twice a day...they seem to be doing very well up to this point.

You would want to keep it planted in orchid bark or coconut chips mixed with some sphagnum. If you have the ability to keep the humidity high, mount it to some cork or tree fern.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?