Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
iliketerrariums

my new set up temp and humidity part 2 !

iliketerrariums
18 years ago

Just wanted to post the CORRECT readings as the first are completely wrong, I used a new hygrometer and a digital themometer this time around, so here it goes, top 79.3 F humidity 76, middle 78.1 F humidity 80, bottom 77.0 F humidity 83, I will check the readings tonight and post the info tommorrow =)

Comments (10)

• Cdfortin
    18 years ago

Yeah looks food to me. It's interesting though that the bottom is warmer than the top?

• hottielover14
    18 years ago

how do u keep the temp that high at night, do u use a heat bulb or under tank heater?..or do u just get the heat from ur lights and humidity?..

• iliketerrariums
    Original Author
    18 years ago

cdfortin, the temp went down the lower the probe went? the humidity went up the lower the probe went, the numbers are as stated above: Temp at top 79.3F, Temp in the middle 78.1F, Temp at the bottom 77.0F, hottielover 14, I havnt checked the night time Temp and Humidity yet, I was going to do it last night but was distracted, but to answer your question I only use the heat that comes off the canopy to heat the tank during the day, at night its just the temp that the tank is normally at room Temp, but the humidity does go up at night, I will check them both tonight, although all Im a bit worried about is the humidity, but not that worried as I have a solution for that if it turns out to be a problem

• dmarin
    18 years ago

This is soil temperature?

If so, it's very easy to retain this kind of heat. It's dark, and dense and spends all day long collecting heat and light energy. At night it gives it off, and heats the rest of the tank. You probably won't see an appreciable drop in temp at night from the soil-much like the world's oceans hardly fluctuate in temperature from one season to another.

D.

• iliketerrariums
    Original Author
    18 years ago

No, the temps given are of the temp of the air inside the terrarium, the substrate consist of aquarium gravel and RO water, thats it, the temp at night stays the same as I have a home that stays warm inside even in the winter

• hottielover14
    18 years ago

I live in the NW and right now it gets pretty cold at night...should I use like a heating pad to keep it at about 72 or so at night?..

• iliketerrariums
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Im in Philly, it gets way cold over here, but, as mentioned, I have a warm home, I would wait till I had the whole thing set up, including plants (hold off on the critters) then check all the "vitals" if you will, day and night time temp and humidity, if anythings not where you want it to be, tweek it for a week or so till you get it where you want it to be, then, after you get it right, you can get your little critters in there as you will be positive that the set up is right for them =) Im not a big fan of those "stick under the tank" heating pads, I prefere submersible aquarium heaters, but thats just me, I know people that love em =)

• hottielover14
    18 years ago

ok i'll do that, thanx

• iliketerrariums
    Original Author
    18 years ago

You are very welcome =)

• Cdfortin
    18 years ago

"cdfortin, the temp went down the lower the probe went?"

Sorry my bad!