Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alexis_gw

Would this set up work with a resurrection fern?

alexis
18 years ago

I've researched resurrection ferns and read a few archived posts using the forum search engine. I just won a resurrection fern (Pleopeltis polypodioides) on eBay. From what I read, the ferns that did the best were above waterfall features in tanks. Mine will already be mounted on a piece of wood. In case, anybody checks the auction, the bidder is my mother's husband (I had an eBay account but sort of forgot my password and user id). I am going to start using a ultra sonic misting system in the tank in a few days. I plan to hang the piece of wood with the resurrection fern above the area where I put the misting system (it's the one that stays in a container of water and the mist raises into the air). Does anyone know if this setup with the fern will work? If it does need a waterfall feature, there are pet stores near here that sell them that I could use.

Comments (13)

• iliketerrariums
    18 years ago

I dont think they would need a water fall as you are providing humidity with the humidifier, and, as Im sure you know, the resurrection ferns grow on Oak and other trees, in Florida and some other places, so I would think that as long as you have good light Temp and humidity it should do fine, the only thing I would be careful with is drainage, be sure that the plant does not sit in water for any extended period of time as it does grow on the "groves" of these trees and only gets water as water/rain passes over and through the plant, like an Epi (maybe is an Epi?) and Im sure you know that drying out for this plant is not a problem! =)

• iliketerrariums
    18 years ago

Hey Alexis, I just won one! I think off the same guy =) Lets keep in touch and exchange notes! =)

• alexis
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Just wanted to provide an update on the fern:
    The fern was on a bark surface too unstable to mount so since I read that they also grow on crevices of rocks, I took some of the bigger river rocks that I had and put them down on the floor in one of the corners of the terrarium. Than I put a thin layer of sphagnum moss (just covering the rocks) because my frog has a tendency to dig down under stuff and I wouldn't want her to dig under the bark, getting trapped. First, my frog Rain was wary of it. But when I put her at the edge of the bark mounted fern, she climbed on it, exploring it, and loved it. I hope the fern does well in my terrarium. I plan to post a few pics of it on my website and post the link in the gallery.

• iliketerrariums
    18 years ago

Hi alexis, I have yet to recieve my fern as I was told that it would ship Monday morn, I think that yours will do good in the spot you set it in, just make sure that the roots do not stay moist! I figure it has characteristics of an epi so I think it would not like sitting in moist soil!? I might be wrong as the Birds Nest Fern is epi type but also does well in soil? =) well......just keep an eye on it...wait! I dont have to tell you this! Your darn good with plants! LOL! Please keep me up to date on the progress of your Ressurection fern =)

• mdahms1979
    18 years ago

I would just keep an eye on it and if it starts to decline move it to a drier location up off the floor. These plants are true epiphytes so they appreciate the usual wet dry cycles they experience in nature.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1269149}}

• iliketerrariums
    18 years ago

Hi alexis, I recieved the resurrection fern today, along with a handfull of Spanish Moss and a native Florida Brom sent along as extras =) I notice that the bark seemed unstable, almost cork like, but I did mount it on the left side of the tank just to the right and in front of the PR fern, I used Bamboo spikes to pin it to the foam wall and it is very stable and secure! =) I mounted the Brom with a small steel "bobby pin" shaped pin, and it to is secure, I placed a small amount of the spanish moss over the driftwood in the lower right of the tank, it looks FANTASTIC! but only time will tell! Ill keep you updated on the health of the trio =)

• back2eight
    18 years ago

Alexis, do you have any pictures of your terrarium? I would like to see it.

• alexis
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I don't have any pictures of it yet on a website that I post a link to but I plan to put some pictures of my frog's tank on my website in a few days.

• iliketerrariums
    18 years ago

alexis, was wondering how your fern is doing? I woke this morning to find mine a bit curled up on itself? Im not sure if this is due to the roots/plant getting to much moisture or not enough? I would lean towards to much as it is an epi? If anyone has any info I would appreciate it =)

• alexis
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Mine has a tendency to curl up on itself. I think that's the nature of the plant. Mine has half the leaves all open and half curling up. In nature, they close up when it isn't so wet and the plant is getting on the dry side. After they get misted or soaked, the leaves uncurl and fold out. At least in florida, they go through cycles of dryness and wetness each day. Mine is doing very well and gets misted at least one or two times a day.

• iliketerrariums
    18 years ago

Yes, you are right, I misted the plant this morning and it uncurled rather quickly, I noticed that there was a "gap" between the background and the back of the bark, like a "halfpipe" so I stuffed it with moist sphagnum moss, I figured I would try to imitate the inside of a living tree branch, Ill let you know if it worked, I just have to wait till morning, I posted some new pics that include pics of the resserection fern! please check them out and let me know what you think! =)

• dfourer
    18 years ago

{{gwi:1269150}}

About resurrection fern. I saw them growing in New Orleans last spring. Very pretty plants. I brought one home to Chicago and tried growing it in terrarium but lost it. In nature, they were uncurled and green all the time. They can survive drying out when established, but I would keep the humidity and moisture hight enough that the plant is always green. Even if that means setting it at ground level. I now have several healthy orchids in my terrarium and they are also air plants. I set the bulbs and roods just above the dirt level or put a lot of sphagnum around roots. I also spray heavily with a mist bottle almost daily, which takes only a minute. The glass fogs up for several hours after I spray. I found the sonic fogger not practical. The water gets used up and I have to refill it, so I can just as easily spray by hand daily. All the little droplets of water on everything keeps it really humid for half a day, and the spray nozzle can be adjusted to give a good soaking to plants up off the bottom. Spray bottles cost a few dollars at garden shop.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1269150}}

• iliketerrariums
    17 years ago

Just about 2 weeks ago I removed my fern from the set up as no matter what I did it wouldnt "come back" looked totally dead, so I took it out and placed it on a shelf in my yard where it sat till two days ago, it was a nice piece of cork so I set it in a pot as a decoration, so, I go out this morning and BAM! two of the leaves are half green and I have at least 6 new leaves uncurling! So, if any of you have one that you think is dead Id set it out and do the same thing I did! I did leave the moss inside of the cork so I guess thats keeping the inside of it moist!? anyways, just thought Id share....with....I dont know who? I feel so lonely! LOL!