Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
imaginators

Mini Terrarium completed

imaginators
19 years ago

Well I thought I would share my tiny terrarium with all of you. It is small but I am proud.

Theresa

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1269092}}

Comments (9)

• imaginators
    Original Author
    19 years ago

This is a photo of the over view.
    Theresa

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1269154}}

• imaginators
    Original Author
    19 years ago

This is the last photo. I have an African Violet, Dwarf Mono grass and a Rabbits Foot Fern set in the driftwood.
    Ground cover is moss and a shot glass of water for extra humidity. Foundation is: Plastic mesh on top of black gravel for drainage. Added some charcoal, then Miracle Grow soil with a tiny bit of sphag moss before I added the plants and ground cover. I mist my plants ever so often with a light mix of Miracle Grow and water. This Gothic Terrarium is set on a small table next to a Window facing East. I am really enjoying it.
    Theresa

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1269156}}

• ladybug_guam
    19 years ago

Theresa!
    Congratulations!
    It's very pretty! You did a very good job, specially setting up the plants! I'm impressed! Now....there is no stoping you! You'll see... a larger one will be in the works soon! LOL
    I really like it!
    Ana :)

• nathanhurst
    19 years ago

That's a very beautiful effort, Theresa. I like the chapel like effect. My only suggestion is to use less soil/potting mix next time, as it covers too much window (alternatively, you could get a non glazed part at the bottom or something).
    If it weren't for the soil it would be just like that chapel in 'ever after'!

How did you put the moss in there? Was it with the blender trick?

Keep up the good work,
    njh

• imaginators
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thank you Ana and NathanHurst for the compliment,
    I really enjoy this tiny terrarium.
    I didn't think about it looking like a chapel until you mentioned it. I guess it does. My husband thought I had too much soil also but I am new at this and was trying to get the layers just right for drainage, charcoal soaking up the smell/stuff, and soil to grow in.
    The dry Moss grass sheets came in a package at the local town craft store called Hobby Lobby. It looks like the moss I have in my backyard forest. It seems to be holding up fine. I am a little concern with my fern after I took him out of the soil and set him in the driftwood. I think this little fern is in shock. He has lost some of his leaves. The little water shot glass seems to keep the moisture in there fine. I lift the top off for more air ocassionally. Also the outdoor window has indirect light. The other 2 plants are doing fine. I may loss this little fern, keeping a close watch over it.
    Theresa

• the_analyst
    19 years ago

It is beautiful! Nice work. Where did you get the terrarium from?

Sarah

• imaginators
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Good day to you Sarah,
    I purchased the Terrarium on ebay. After I purchased it, I emailed some of my completion photos of it to the seller. Now the seller is using my photos as examples to further sell his Gothic terrariums.
    Theresa

• sahoyaref
    19 years ago

Very cute! I've seen the terrariums on eBay, and did debate getting one myself. I see from your pictures that it's bigger than I first thought (a good thing). The moss is very nice indeed! And don't worry about your fern. Just mist it every day until it starts to grow new leaves. Mine also slowly lost all it's old leaves and had to grow all new ones. Now it's doing great though! Good work!

• imaginators
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thank you sahoyaref,
    I have been a little worried about my fern. But check it daily to see how the moisture is doing in the terrarium with water shot glass and if it feels dry, to give it a mist.
    I started another terraruium with potted flowering bulb plants the larger one is a red Amryllis using the moss again. I had these bulbs from last year. They bloomed beautifully and then I gave them a year rest. I put then in new pots and soil. Now they are sprouting again. This new terrarium is bigger. I recently bought it on Ebay.
    Theresa

Sponsored
Franklin County's Top Choice for Reliable Outdoor Construction