Return to the Terrariums Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Have to trade: Tropical Tassel Fern

Posted by bihai zone 9 (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 19, 08 at 20:03

I have a cool plant for trade. It can be used as a terrarium plant, especially in a larger tank.

Tropical Tassel Ferns are Huperzia (used to be Lycopodium). They are #1 Tropical #2 require fairly high humidity #3 very hard to come by #4 expensive

Here is a photo of the one I have available. Its in the clay pot behind the Metallic Fern. Its well rooted and established in a 3" plastic pot set into the clay pot. It has 2 arms that are at least 8" long each and branching.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

The plant was propagated from this mother plant:
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

I am interested mainly in HOYAS. Specifically:
affinis var Dark Form
archboldiana YM excellent
ciliata
darwinii
macgillivrayi x archboldiana
lauterbachii
magnifica

I would take at least 2 node cuttings of any three

Or, you can make an offer of other hoyas, or other plants

Due to agricultural laws, I cannot send this plant to the states of HI, CA, AZ, TX, LA or the Territory of Puerto Rico

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Have to trade: Tropical Tassel Fern

Note: I believe the plant can be sent to California if it is sent bare-root. Also the use of a mild insectide might be required, perhaps one of the soap type though this kind of plant is relatively insect, pest, free.

o
RE: Have to trade: Tropical Tassel Fern

Its a moot point, I wouldn't send it to CA. Ever since I received a nasty letter from the CA Dept of Agriculture stating that I had violated their Agricultural statutes over a trade plant I sent that they confiscated and quarantined, CA and all the other "picky" states are definitely off my list.

It violates their nematode quarantine law, even though its an epiphyte that has been grown the required 18+ inches off the ground, on several points:
It's being grown on a property that has not been inspected, tested and deemed nematode free

It's growing in media that wasn't stored according to CA's stringent requirements (IE, the bags were stored on the ground, not OFF the ground) so the media isn;t considered sterile

It's growing in an area of mixed use where plants around it are potted in "dirty" soil

The convoluted Agricultural regulations of some of the "food producing" states are just too nuch for me to deal with, so CA, HI, TX, LA, AZ and PR are just, well, "out".

The ironic thing is, the plant I received the letter over WAS grown under almost ALL of the above conditions. Go figure.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Terrariums Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here