Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cdfortin_gw

costa rica

Cdfortin
19 years ago

I'm going to Costa Rica in one week!!! I'm so excited...one of the things I'm going to do is walk around on a system of bridges in the rainforest canopy! Also I opted NOT to stay in some American resort so basically I'll be in "jungle shacks"-that's the best way to do it IMO. Talk about a terrarium enthusiast's paradise!

Comments (6)

• garyfla_gw
    19 years ago

Hi
    Fantastic!! Sure wish I was going with you. have visited there several times but not since 2000.Understand that it's changed considerably from the "good old days" lol. Certainly more expensive than it used to be but then what isn't?? The one place I particularly enjoyed was Monte Verde. High altitude cloud forest.Mind boggling array of plants and animals,particularly birds.
    Have never been up in those canopy bridges .They were just starrting them the last time I was there.
    be sure to take some pix for us stay at homes lol
    gary

• ladybug_guam
    19 years ago

Ohhhh! Gary! How I envy you! Love CR. I couldn't get enough of the plants and birds when we where there. We were planning to buy some land and build a home for retirement, but our lawyer said that it could become unstable and they'll just take any foreign property away, and can't fight them, but I sure would of like to... and all is not what you see thru the eyes of somebody on vacation, which is very true, still love it there!
    Have a good time and, please, take some pictures.
    Ana :)

• Cdfortin
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I'm staying in Monte Verde for two days. BTW, did any of ya'll see any reptiles/amphibians while you were there? I'm particulary interested in them, but I hear they're hard to spot.

• garyfla_gw
    19 years ago

Hi
    I didn't particularly try to spot reptiles on my visits but some that come to mind are the iguanas, they seem to be everywhere.Since they are so large they're easy to spot. Also the SW Crocodiles and Caymen at lower elevations.Ran accross a rather large Boa constrictor once which really startled me lol. Have never seen the Dart frogs.
    The most noticeable things in the forests are the monkeys
    and parrots.They make lots of noise.Another is the butterflies and forest crabs.They seem to be everywhere and are always out in the open.
    I suspect you'd need to specificly look for the dart frogs as they're so small.
    Another very noticeable creatures are the Hummingbirds.Any where thewre are flowers you'll see the little jewels. So beautiful!!
    On Monteverde I got to see a Quetzal.Unfortuneately out of color as well as a Sulphur breasted Toucan. A whole bunch of other specie that I couldn't identify. The secret is to sit down and be quiet.I guarantee within 2 minutes something will either run, slither,fly or hop by lol
    I always get involved in the plants.Particularly the orchids and ferns so I'm sure i miss at least half of the animals that can be seen. If you're a nature freak like me I'm sure you'll have a great time lol
    Gary

• sahoyaref
    19 years ago

Awesome! Take lots of pics! I would love to go someplace tropical, especially in the dead of winter. =) Have fun!

• nathanhurst
    19 years ago

I just watched a wonderful show called 'body snatchers' on human parasites and it had a bit about botfly. If you get their eggs hatching on you they grow under the skin, eating your flesh. I only mention this because they are commonly caught in Costa Rica :-)

(Though they are really gross, they are simply treated with a bandaid with vaseline to suffocate the larvae)

I hope you had a really great holiday and saw lots of wonderful things!