Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hottielover14

Lighting Question?

hottielover14
18 years ago

Im not sure what kind of lighting to get..i found a coralife 96W Power compact light for cheap or a dual VHO light..I have a 40 W flourscent and 18W PC in the garage but im not sure if thats enough lighting for some tropical pitcher plants, some ferns, some air plants and some other tropical plants..what do u guys/girls think?

Comments (39)

• iliketerrariums
    18 years ago

You really should read through the existing post, most if not all of your questions will be answered, so far I have found that all the questions you have posted/asked are indeed answered there (in the post) have fun! =)

• Cdfortin
    18 years ago

I AGREE with iliketerrariums. But to breifly answer your question, both the 96W pc or the VHO would work excelently. Just remember to use bulbs with a color of around 6700K.

• hottielover14
    Original Author
    18 years ago

ok thanx

• hottielover14
    Original Author
    18 years ago

ok i did some forum searching but i didn't find some of my questions out..so here i go..What should i get a 24" dual VHO set up w/ 55W bulbs or a 36" 96W PC set up or a Combo hood from Zoomed w/ 2 PC grow lights and a UVB flourscent bulb?..i think they would all work but i just wanna kno what u guys think..

• dmarin
    18 years ago

What size is your terr.?

If you have the money to throw around, get the VHO lights. If not, get the CFL setup. I didn't have the money to spend, so I cobbled together a hood and some CFL bulbs. It has worked out wonderfully for me.

D.

• Cdfortin
    18 years ago

Aren't compact flo (not reg flo) lights brighter than VHO bulbs. I think you'd want to go with the PC.

• hottielover14
    Original Author
    18 years ago

well i found the VHO and PC set up for pretty cheap..i just need to kno which one is beter but the PC's are brighter then the VHO's..but i dont want them to be too bright cuz im gonna have some low-med light plants too..

• Cdfortin
    18 years ago

Sorry if I didn't catch it, but what size/shape tank are you using? Thanks.

• hottielover14
    Original Author
    18 years ago

18x18x18" so its a square

• Cdfortin
    18 years ago

Well for that size cage, both types of lights you mentioned are too bright and will heat up the vivarium too much. However, you could use either one as long as you put it maybe 1 or 2 feet above the top of the vivarium.

• hottielover14
    Original Author
    18 years ago

ohh ok..what light could i use to put on top of my terrarium?

• hottielover14
    Original Author
    18 years ago

IF i used a 30" twin flourscent fixture w/ 2-24" AgroSun bulb and an 18" PC, would that work if i sat it on top of my terrarium?

• deadhamster
    18 years ago

Flourescent tube lights are better for longer cages. For your setup I would just use a compact flourescent bulb. Those 20 watt bulbs at home depot with the built in reflector have made my nepenthes truncata very happy. One or two of those would definitly not produce too much heat for your terrarium. If your terrarium will get some natural light, one would probably be ok. If it won't get much or any, maybe use 2 of them.

-DH

• hottielover14
    Original Author
    18 years ago

ok.i'll check those out...what wattage of CF would u reccommend?.would the combonation light by zoomed work w/ the 2 CF's and 1 flourscent?..i could use 2 sunlight/grow light CF's and an UVB flourscent..like in that other thread..would that work or would that be to bright and hot too?

• Cdfortin
    18 years ago

Well, in order to answer the UVB question, we need to know what animals you intend to keep. Also, have you considered more of a 'custom-made' appreach (w/fans to keep down the heat). You could try the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: AHsupply

• hottielover14
    Original Author
    18 years ago

well im gonna just have plants at first but im planning on getting a red eyed tree frog..noo i looked at that site and i dont think i could figure that out, im not good w/ that kind of stuff..

• hottielover14
    Original Author
    18 years ago

i have a plan..im gonna get a ESU Bi Light w/ 2 Reptisun 5.0 UVB Compact Fluorescent Bulbs..would that work for my terrarium?

• hottielover14
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Do u guys think my Bi Light idea would work?

• Cdfortin
    18 years ago

Well I don't know if the UVB bulbs have the right color temp for plants - if you're planning on using them exclusively. Do you underdand how the "color temp" in degrees Kelvin works? That's a very important lighting concept. I can explain if you like.

This whole post is very spotty...why would you want UVB bulbs if you're having a plants only deal...and red eyes don't even need UV.

I think you need to slow down! I know at your age life is a rush but this hobby is about patience and research.

• hottielover14
    Original Author
    18 years ago

ok well thanx for clearing that up about the UVB, so i wont get those bulbs now...and yes i do kno about how the color temp works, i had a reef tank for about 3 yrs..ya i have lots of patience but im just trying to figure out what lighting i need...since im gonna have lots of plants and red eye's later on,maybe i could just get 1-65W compact flourscent grow light. I found it on this at Toronto Hydroponics:

65W Full Spectrum Compact Fluorescent
    Technical Specs:
    + Equivalent to 300W Incandescent
    + 6500°K DAYLIGHT temperature
    + 4300 initial lumens
    + CRI rating: 91
    + 8,000 hours
    + Dimensions: 4" x 8 1/2"
    + Fits directly into a standard light socket

Will cover approx. 1 square foot area.

If i just used that one bulb and put it in a reflector or something, and put it over my terrarium, would that work?..if not, do u guys have any recommendations for a bulb(s) to use?

• deadhamster
    18 years ago

That looks like a nice bulb. :) Are you in canada? If so they may not ship there, but I get bulbs from 1000 bulbs and they carry CFL bulbs up to 200 watts or so. Looks like they have your bulb for about $20 USD. That might be overkill though. Maybe someone else agrees? I would think something in the 45 watt range would be better for your size tank. Once you have dirt and everything else in there, your plants will be sitting inches from that bulb.

-DH

• Cdfortin
    18 years ago

Yes basically that is perfect, miss hottielover (I feel weird writing hottielover - sounds like a stripper name or something)

• deadhamster
    18 years ago

Yeah, I remember this one time at deja-vu there was this chick that... err... this is probably the wrong forum for that.

You do have a nice set of bulbs though..

Okay, I'm done now. I promise. lol

-DH

• hottielover14
    Original Author
    18 years ago

thanx u guys..lol..well actually its Mr. hottielover ;):D..

• Cdfortin
    18 years ago

Hello chin n' dales

• hottielover14
    Original Author
    18 years ago

hahahaha hi...do u guys have any recommendations for a reflector?..i was just thinking about using a normal reptile incadescent reflector thing would that work?

• Cdfortin
    18 years ago

Yeah a normal reptile fixture with a reflector would work. Also you could get creative and buy some mylar and plywood and make your own hood.

• hottielover14
    Original Author
    18 years ago

ok so one of those reptile fixtures that hold one bulb and some can clip on, would work?.

• deadhamster
    18 years ago

I woudlnt use a reptile one, they aren't THAT reflective. Look at that link to 1000 bulbs I gave you a few posts back. They sell some polished aluminium reflectors that attach right to the base of the bulb. I haven't tried them yet myself, but they are on my list.

-DH

• dmarin
    18 years ago

BTW, for anyone who's wondering-the 'Sunlite' bulbs sold by 1000 bulbs are excellent bulbs. I still have an 85W unit that's burning brightly after about 18 or more months.

Also, looks like the price on these came down in that time about $10.

D.

• hottielover14
    Original Author
    18 years ago

ok i think im gonna get the 42W full spectrum 6500K compact flourscent bulb w/ the matching 42W aluminium reflector..but do i clip the reflector on my cage or can i just sit it on top of my terrarium?

• deadhamster
    18 years ago

I have no idea. Let us know after you get it.

-DH

• Cdfortin
    18 years ago

Well I would find some way to suspend it just above the tank. That way you get some circulation around the bulb so it doesn't get too hot.

• hottielover14
    Original Author
    18 years ago

ok i will let u guys kno..ok cdfortin, i'll try and see if it clips or something..

• hottielover14
    Original Author
    18 years ago

the relfector on 1000 bulbs for hte 42W bulb is made i think to go on a lamp...so idk if i would be able to use that..so maybe i should just get a reptile reflector..they'd be easier..??

• Cdfortin
    18 years ago

well you could just go to your local hardware store and buy a clamp lamp.

• hottielover14
    Original Author
    18 years ago

ya i'll prolly just do that and then get that 42 watt bulb..that should work

• hottielover14
    Original Author
    18 years ago

ok here's the plan, i was looking for a reflector that i could use w/ out having to hang it from the ceiling, so im gonna get that 42W bulb, a reptile reflector and this stand that u hang the reflector from..so it can be right over my terrarium but not hanging or right on top..i think its perfect.I can't wait to get it all set up!! :D

• stillmanz
    16 years ago

whatdo you guys think of a 130 watt2700 K cfl for close quarters VFT?