Return to the Terrariums Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
nice site to visit

Posted by iliketerrariums (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 2, 06 at 21:37

hottielover14, go to the following site and you will see pics of many different set ups, it is quite enjoyable, you will see three of my vivs there under the name A.Rosario, they look pretty good but are no longer with us for some reason or another, and also remeber that most of the vivs/terrariums are freshly set up and are misted just before the pictures were taken, I guess were not supposed to know that! Its like my car, it looks brand new....in the dark....after a rain storm. LOL!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: nice site to visit

what site?..its no showing a site

o

Sorry, here it is: http://www.wildsky.net/vivarium/evivariu.htm

o

I have looked through this site many times and some of the vivariums and terrariums are absolutely stunning.

This is one of my favorite small vivariums because it includes one of my favorite ferns, Polypodium polypodioides the resurrection fern growing on the back wall.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fern

o

I love those ferns...if I remember correctly don't they have some type of interesting or unique ability or property?

o

In dry conditions they dry out completely and look very dead but when it rains the eventually hydrate and begin to grow again. Someone was nice enough to send me spores of this fern a few years ago but I had no luck germinating them on bark, sphagnum, or tree fern substrates. :(

Here is a link that might be useful: Take a look

o

I wonder how one acquires this plant?

o

It grows epiphytically on live oak and other trees throughout most of south Florida and other areas of the south. I don't know much about its northern range but I did find this website with a list of the states it grows in.

Ploypodium also has some other interesting ferns in the US such as Polyopdium glycyrrhiza but they tend to be larger than the resurrection fern.

I have seen this plant offered on Ebay and a few other places so you might want to try a search.

http://www.floridata.com/ref/p/poly_pol.cfm

Here is a link that might be useful: Fern info

o

The only guy I found on ebay selling the resurrection fern only offered it as an "extra" if you purchased 2lbs of his spanish moss, when I emailed him to ask about the resurrection fern he had no clue what I was talking about! Then, after I pointed out that it was an alltogether different plant than the spanish moss, he sent me an email telling me that he would charge me $50.00 for a 2lb box of resurrection fern because "it was to hard to get"?

o

I just found this site but they are currently out of this species. The rest of the site is worth looking at because they have some really nice plants.

This site has it in stock as well as some Platycerium species I wish i could get my hands on. They sell through Ebay.

http://gardengiftsgalore.com/ferns.htm

Here is a link that might be useful: Terrarium plants

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Terrariums Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here