Return to the Terrariums Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help planting White Rabbits Fern?

Posted by imaginators z6 KY (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 12, 05 at 22:37

I have been told that you do not plant White Rabbits Fern into soil but attach it to a driftwood? How is this done?
Thank you,
Theresa

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help planting White Rabbits Fern?

You rinse as much of the soil away from the roots as you can, and then just plop it on top of your piece of driftwood. It will soon attach itself by sending out new roots. If it is continually falling over, just tie in on with some fishing line (not too tight), which you can cut off later.

o

hmmm. I replied to this, but it seems not to have made it...
These plants do GREAT in soil, not even in a terr.. Mine has grown enough to send its offshoots to 5 friends and family members plus a cutting at work that will soon be huge as well. Perhaps you were given that recommendation because they thought it grew too fast in soil?
You can use many things to attach it to driftwood. Plastic tie strips, cotton string (will rot eventually), or my favorite is thin metal strands that I bought from english gardens for like 2$ for 50 or so. You can even silicon it to the wood. That takes a bit more care because you need to not block future growth. I've never done the silicon, but I've seen it.

o

Yes, they will grow in soil, but they were intended to be epiphytes, so I think they look better mounted. Of course the roots will eventually find their way down into the soil and continue to grow, but they tend to get 'dirty' in soil, and then one can't enjoy the nice, white fuzzy roots that are such a feature of this plant.

o

Well I planted the White Rabbits Fern in soil against the driftwood before I received this information. So I will let nature take it's course and see what happens. After reading all of your amazing large, beautiful terraiums mine seems so tiny. Again learning as I grow.
Theresa

o

I have this species in my terrarium, it is called Humata tyermanii. It will grow equally well in soil or as an epiphyte but will be much easier if you start the main portion of rhizome in the soil so that it can develope a good root system.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Terrariums Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here