Return to the Terrariums Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Oregon Beak moss not feathering.

Posted by ddot zn1/2 OR (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 6, 09 at 1:18

Hello,
About 5 years ago, I collected a small sample of Oregon Beaked moss. In the wild, it is ferny and feathery. But, when I put this feathery moss into my terrarium it didn't stay that way. Instead it just sent up masses of 1 inch long, thin erect moss stands (like thread) that has spread throughout my terrarium and crawls up the sides of the glass. It's very green and healthy, but they are single thin strands with barbs. I thought these strands would just take time to branch and become feathery. But after 5yrs, all I have is moss that looks like mossy grass. I fine mist the moss every once in a while to perk it up. But, how do I get my moss to feather out? I read another post suggesting that moss should go through a winter phase. How do you winter a terrarium? And keep it cool in the summer? My setup is: 10 gal tank. 1 all spectum 22 inch light tube hanging at a height of 16 inches from top of glass. Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Oregon Beak moss not feathering.

Hello ddot; first, it's great that you've found a local outdoor moss that will grow in a terrarium long term! But besides not having wind, rain, cold, and dry cycles, your light is only a very tiny percentage of what beaked moss gets out in nature. My guess is that it can only become the natural form again outdoors.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Terrariums Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here