Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hottielover14

cooling room during summer

hottielover14
18 years ago

hey everybody, i have my terrarium all set up and it looks really awsome..i'll post some pics maybe tom..but i was just wondering since its getting warmer and i added 2 new bulbs to my terrarium, my terrarium gets at about 77 during the day and 65 at night..but spring just started and im worried about summer, cuz its gonna be really hot..i was thinking about getting a room AC unit, what do u guys think i should do?

Comments (12)

• garyfla_gw
    18 years ago

Hi
    Is your cncern for animals or plants?? if for plants I wouldn't worry too much unless you have some plants that can't take heat??
    my paludarium frequently gets into the 90's in summer and everything survives. I do increase the circulation and keep the humidity higher.
    Air might be nice while looking at you creation though lol
    gary

• hottielover14
    Original Author
    18 years ago

ya my concern is for the plants, well the only plant that can't really take heat is my boston fern..and i read that those like it at around 68-75...as it gets hotter the humdity goes down so how do u increase it..i have a fogger already but i think i might get an automatic mister too, would that be a good choice?..lol what do u mean?

• garyfla_gw
    18 years ago

Hi
    Well in my case the bottom of the tank has 10 inch deep waterlol No problem with humidity in fact I'm seldom able to
    cover it as the humidity hangs at 80 oercent. In summer as temps climb into the nineties the humidity climbs anyway.
    have never used foggers or misters. Here in Florida the battle is always the other way around lol
    Boston fern can't take heat?? Would you please explain that to the ones in my yard and shadehouse?? The only thing I've seen that even slows them down is drought and even that's only temporary. Constant battle to keep them out of the orchids.
    gary

• hottielover14
    Original Author
    18 years ago

oh well i dont have 10 in. in the bottom of mine...i have a waterfall and a fogger..well my humidity is about 95% at night and my temps like 67 at night and during the day my temp is 76 and the humidity is like 75..but i want at least 80 percent during the day..ohh really?..well i just read it but thats good news then :D..

• hottielover14
    Original Author
    18 years ago

my fogger just stopped working on me last night so im gonna try and soak it in some vinegar to get it working and then im gonna sell it..cuz i dont wanna have to keep cleaning and stuff, its to much of a hassle..so instead im gonna get a hubba mist automatic mister..that should help raise the humidity during the day and the plants will like being misted so it'll be better than the fogger actually..has anybody had one of these misters?..if so how did u like it?

• deadhamster
    18 years ago

I had one at one point in my old tank. It didn't last even a year. I was not impressed. It was also extremely loud. I have a pro-mist system now, with 6 nozzles mounted to the top of my tank. It works wonderfully, the pump appears to be indestructable, and it is dead silent. The timer on the habba mist wasn't very good either. It only lets you set the number of times per day, and an duration of 15 to 60 seconds. For my setup 60 seconds was not enough. Small reservoir as well. The promist will set you back about $180, I think the habba mist is around $99 if I remember right. The pro mist is well worth the extra $80.

-DH

• hottielover14
    Original Author
    18 years ago

the habba mist is $50 but i found it for $30...ok i'll check into the pro mist..thanx

• hottielover14
    Original Author
    18 years ago

ok i checked the pro mist out, there really awsome and nice but i can't afford $180 right now..maybe i can get the habba mist now and then save up for the pro mist..are there any other nice misters that have the same quality as the pro mist that are cheaper?

• hottielover14
    Original Author
    18 years ago

i think im just gonna get the big apple misting system, its only $100 and ive heard that its really good and it look like its good quality and a very nice system..

• deadhamster
    18 years ago

That doesn't look like a bad system at all. Let me know how it works out for you :) Just make sure you use RO or distilled water with it. Misting heads clog very easily.

-DH

• hottielover14
    Original Author
    18 years ago

ok i will...i use bottled water now w/ no minerals in it..would that work instead?

• hottielover14
    Original Author
    18 years ago

do u think it would be to much for a 18x18x18 terrarium?

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!