Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ginar1173

10 gallon orchidarium

GinaR1173
19 years ago

OK, I'm new to this particular forum, and I must say that it is very exciting and inspiring. I have a 10 gallon aquarium tank that has been dormant for the past 4 years. I was bit by the orchid bug last year so now I'm thinking to make an orchidaium using mini orchids. Now, I'm lost on how to start!

What should I use for substrate? I'm thinking of using standard orchid mix(Schultz), or tree fern bark, or a mixture.

Also will the standard light that came with the tank be sufficient lighting?

Should I put a humidity tray in there or will the humidity just naturally build up from the enclosure and misting?

I want to get all the information I can before the NY Orchid show, so that everything can be set up for the 'chids.

Any help will be greatly appreciated! Thanx!

Comments (3)

• sahoyaref
    19 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

First of all, Schultz orchid mix is NOT standard. It is below standard, and not used by many orchid growers. While some people do find it works for them in pots (because they can allow it to dry out sufficiently between waterings), it will not work well in a terrarium, because the substrate virtually never dries out. I would get a much more open mix, like coconut husk chips (CHC) or bark chips in a medium or large grade. My Paphs love the cedar bark mulch I have as my terrarium substrate. Phals love it too, but they wouldn't bloom because I couldn't get the temp drop they need. Other than that though, most mini orchids are epiphytes, so I would concentrate more on using cork bark panels (available at pet stores) or cork tiles (available at places like Home Depot). These would be glued on the back glass, as well as the two sides (if you want), and you would mount your orchids onto them. If using the bark, try to wedge the orchids in. If using flooring tiles, you could pin them on with little U-shaped bits of wire. For terrestrial orchids, I'd recommend Paph. purpuratum (or purpurata, I can't remember), a very small, cute paph, also available in an alba form, and the jewel orchids, like Macodes petolata, Ludisia discolour, and others. Stick to warm growers though, as the heat from the lights will keep your tank in that temp. range (so no masdies, pleuros, etc., even though most of them are minis). Even intermediate growers, like tolumnias (very mini oncidiums), might not flower, depending on the actual temps you get going. For more species orchids (your best bet for minis), check out Andy's. You can search for minis, and you'll get a whole bunch. Most of them also include cultural info, which you'll need to tell you how much light, what temps, etc.

The humidity will naturally stay high if the terrarium is sealed or almost completely sealed, and with the daily misting you'll need to do if you don't have a small water feature with running water.

Your lights are probably not good. Most 10 gal tanks come with incandescent lights. The good news is that you can, in all probability, find some compact fluorescents that will just screw nicely into those incandescent fixtures. Just make sure they will fit, as compacts are bigger than the incandescent bulbs for fish tanks. You can also get mini compacts, but I'm not sure if that would be enough light. Try to stick to the lower light plants, those needing 500-1000 ft.candles of light. You could possibly go as high as 1500 ft.c, as long as you place those plants as high up in your tank (as close to the lights) as possible. You could also try to put your tank near a window, to let in some natural sunlight as well. This would also help your tank to cool down at night. Make sure no direct sun though, or you will really cook those plants during the day!

Also, forget fertilizing your orchidarium plants, and only use RO, distilled, or rainwater.

Here is a link that might be useful: Andy's

• GinaR1173
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thank you for your sound advice. I greatly appreciate it and will use it in my endeavor!

Thanx again!

• alexis
    19 years ago

I've planted some orchids in Jungle Growth and it seems to be good for terrestial species. It has bark chips in it and doesn't stay too wet. Also, air plants are good in terrariums. They are small, not so expensive, and give a wilderness look to terrariums. I'm adding some to my terrarium. They also can be mounted on tree fern, cork, and other woody materials. The more plants that are close together, the more humidity is made in an enclosed terrarium but misting could be helpful anyway. Also, bromeliads like orchid growing conditions. Good luck on decorating your terrarium.

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm