Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shaeon_gw

Terrarium beginner - soil and airflow questions

shaeon
13 years ago

I've done a few terrariums with succulents and cacti, and a few failed terrariums with other plants. I am starting fresh with a new terrarium with a maidenhair fern and some moss in a 20 gallon aquarium. This is a closed terrarium mostly - just mostly because I have a standard lighted aquarium hood on top of it, which includes very small holes for adding equipment I would need if this had fish in it.

I've learned about a lot of the stuff I'm doing wrong from this post. Chiefly I need to use less soil, which is easy enough to accomplish.

In addition to that, could I get a few recommendations on soil mixes? that post recommends vermiculite, which I'm a bit opposed to using because of the possible health effects on me and my cats - but please correct me if my concerns are unfounded.

Additionally, I've seen a few people mention adding fans to terrariums. Because of the setup I have, this would be easy to add - I could fix a CPU fan to the hood, or even run a few tubes from an aquarium air pump for minimal airflow. What are the benefits of this? Is it worth the (fairly minimal) trouble?

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022