Return to the Terrariums Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
African Violet Wicking Soil for Drainage

Posted by nyccoconut 6 (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 19, 09 at 10:45

Hello!

I read on the forums that some people use African Violet Wicking Soil instead of gravel at the bottom of enclosed terrariums as it absorbs water as well and the roots of plants can grow into the medium.

Do you agree with this?

Thanks!
Jeff

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: African Violet Wicking Soil for Drainage

Hmmm, interesting. Never tried it myself, Jeff. If you decide to experiment, definitely let us know how it turns out!

o

I stopped using a "drainage layer" 20 years ago, except in a few bowls/jars just for looks.

Drainage layers are useless in both pots and terrariums. Worse, they can collect stagnant water and cause more problems. Using a non-absorbent layer of something like aquarium gravel can even cause the soil right above it to remain saturated, without draining excess water, due to the surface tension of the water and hydrophilic nature of the wet soil mix as opposed to gravel. This invites root rot and/or weak, shallow root systems.

A well draining mix all the way through will do just fine.

Underlying mix that drains even better but still wicks moisture (like the AV wicking mixes) will do equally as well. I often sprinkle in some charcoal too, roots do seem to like it, but only a thin layer that mixes in with the soil mix.

If you must go with a layer of gravel or whatever, for looks, just be sure you're not leaving stagnant water in it between waterings. Or put in an aquarium airstone and keep it aerated and alive. (joke - sort of!)

Vincent

o

Thanks Vincent!

That makes sense and is much more attractive than a drainage layer... even if i use black stone that matches the soil, it is still noticeable.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Terrariums Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here