Return to the Terrariums Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Temperature controlled fans-

Posted by Krstofer Sunset 8 (ish) (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 10, 05 at 12:12

I've got a set-up like this in mine- maybe it can work for you.

Problem with my terrarium was with all the ballasts & high powered lights in there heat build up would run away... 90F was not uncommon shortly after the light timer(s) came on.

I've got a bunch of 12 volt computer fans laying around... So I decided to use them to cool the terrarium. A 12 volt 1 amp "wall wart" power supply from the thrift store (only a dollar) provides power for the thermal circuit & thus the fans.

I made a thermal fan circuit using this design. It's quite easy to make & the parts aren't too terribly hard to find.

Once that was made I bought a 12 volt relay at Radio Shack which turns off the mist unit when the fans turn on as the new cold (i hope) air will be rather dry. Once the heat has been removed then the mister(s) are allowed to turn back on & 'fix' the humidity.

I'm also using a stripped down 'house' thermostat in the big terrarium- Same setup with the relay & misters as the little terrarium- Difference with this one is the fans come on full power untill the temp drops to a point where the thermostat turns them off. Disadvantage is it can sound like a small turbine engine when the fans are on.
With the thermal circuit the fans gardually spin up as the enviornment gets hotter. It's very quiet.

Seems to work well- Have questions just ask.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Temperature controlled fans-

that sounds really sweet. ill probably use that variable output fan design for my mini terrarium.

now, if only i could build it inline with a humidistat on the cheap, i would be set.

o

I've gotten a few humidistats out of thrift-store humidifiers.. $3 to $5 for the whole thing. Sometimes you can even get lucky & get an ultrasonic unit.. Otherwise just look for the 'adjustable' humidifier. It's got an internal humidistat.

o

i actually hadnt thought of making my own. this place is like a graveyard for broken humidifiers. maybe ill take your advice and cannibalize one.

nice tats btw :)

o

I made that mosfet based design - very cute! (and so simple too) My only real problem with it is the fact that it wastes so much power (making it too hot to touch). I wonder if it would be posible to make a similarly simple design using switching.

o

I dunno- There's a couple of *fairly* simple PWM designes out there (trust me I looked) but they all require 7 or more components.. Living in the sticks as I do I would have had to get them from online suppliers, & finding one that had all the required 'stuff' was a frustrating search.

I ended up going with simple = good & stuck a bit of sheat metal on the transistor for a heatsink.. Called it good.

I put the control outside the terrarium so it's heat output didn't matter.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Terrariums Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here