Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sahoyaref

Finally finished!

sahoyaref
18 years ago

Alright, my Dad finally emailed me the pics of my new terrarium! It's been completed for about three weeks or so now (can't remember exactly). I took photos of every step of the construction, so if you want to see the whole deal, go to

http://photobucket.com/albums/v29/sahoyaref/Vivarium/

The photos are in reverse order at the bottom of the page. Feel free to look at pics of my old terr. as well if you haven't seen them before. But for those who just want the final version, here is the front view:

{{gwi:1269421}}

And the side view:

{{gwi:1269423}}

Questions/comments/whatever are welcome. This enclosure will eventually house three fire-belly toads, but I am giving the plants a chance to settle in and anchor themselves. I'm also very busy with my two chilluns, and I don't know if I even left enough room on the land for the frogs to hop around! My original plan was to have the two cork walls be water walls, and I did set it up that way. It sounded just like rain, and I loved that. Then the frogs would have had the whole area inside the tree stump to sit and eat and sleep or whatever, but the spray bar that came with the filter (it's a Rena Filstar canister filter) only covers one wall, and it's a little large. I also figured that the F. pumila wouldn't like being constantly splashed on, so I switched the arrangement to kind of a faucet that just pours the water straight down into the tree stump and it flows out the front. I really like how this looks and sounds, though it's a little loud, and the plants seem to appreciate less splashing, but it takes that whole space away from the frogs. I also had way too many plants, but they had to be in a terrarium or they would die, so I had to cram them all in there. *sigh* So if anyone thinks that there's not enough land space for the froggies, please tell me, and I won't put any in there. I also had to put a fan in. The humidity was a constant 99% even with large openings in the front and back of the lid, and stuff was getting mouldy. Now it's 89% (still good), but the front glass is totally clear (great for viewing) and the mold is gone, and I bet the orchids will like it better. One orchid did die, but it was unhealthy and small to start with. I'll post pics again in six months or so if things have progressed.

Comments (6)