Return to the Terrariums Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Watering with Filtered Water?

Posted by nyccoconut 6 (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 9, 10 at 14:04

Hello!

Everything I have read regarding watering terrariums, advises using either distilled or rain water.

There has never been mention of filtered water (i.e., Brita, Pur, etc.)

Does anyone use filtered water in their terrarium? Do the filters simply not remove enough chemicals and minerals?

Thank you!
Jeff

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Watering with Filtered Water?

Those filters remove sediment, chlorine, and organic molecules, but do not have the capacity to reduce dissolved solids, which can be problematic for plants.

If your terrarium can drain, then it may not be a problem. But if not, then those minerals will accumulate until the plants can no longer absorb water.

If you need a lot of pure water, an RO filter is the best option. Otherwise distilled/rain water is the way to go.

o

I have used both and I find that in my "show" tanks, distilled works best. I hate cloudy or spotted glass. Grrr!

In the 143 other tanks, breeder tanks etc I use 2 week old/treated tap. I've never had an issue with the frogs or the plants not growing and usually bring bags of clippings as gifts to the expos or get togethers I frequent.
Mac

o

True! On my first terrarium, I had nasty water marks and had to soak it in CLR for over a day. It worked really well.

From now on, distilled only! It's worth it for the health of the plants and keeping the glass beautiful!

o

Hi
Was reading your post on the irrigation forum. Looks like you got my answers here lol. I generally use RO water
because of the price . I can get it at the grocery store for 30 cents compared to 70 for distilled .
A home system would be great but not worth the expense unless you use a lot of water. Does make wonderful coffeee though lol gary

o

Like Gary, I use RO water. Living in an apt makes collecting rainwater a no go. & like Gary, I can get RO water for 30cents/gal at my local grocery store .... huge savings over distilled.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Terrariums Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here