Return to the Terrariums Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
'reblooming' T. cyanea: what's the secret?

Posted by sahoyaref Alberta z3a (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 17, 05 at 15:00

Alright, how do you people do it? I got my T.cyanea in bloom over a year ago. It bloomed, spike faded, I cut it off, it grew two new pups, both of which grew up (I kept them attached to the 'mother' plant) and have a nice strong purple colour to their leaves, which means that lack of light is not my problem. I know the old apple-in-a-bag-with-the-plant trick, but I don't want to just stick an apple in my terrarium, because I know that ethylene gas can also cause orchid bud-blast, and my C. pulchellum is currently blooming. In fact, it's almost always making new spikes, one at a time, so there isn't really a 'safe' time to add the apple. I also don't really want to take the plant out of my terrarium and bag it with an apple, because I think it may have attached itself to the driftwood. Taking the whole wall of driftwood out with it is also not an option. So what makes these guys bloom in the wild? Is it a temp drop? A dry rest followed by drenching? Mr. B, I know you've rebloomed your cyanea. What makes you so special? =) ; ) Seriously, any ideas anyone has will be appreciated. TIA!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 'reblooming' T. cyanea: what's the secret?

T. cyanea = Thelymitra cyanea? I have to assume you are talking about a different orchid because T. cyanea I have flowers quite happily outside in a pot.

o

Tillandsia cyanea is the plant in question. Sorry I don't grow it though. Every Tillandsia I have bloomed has been by chance, no special treatment. Mabey you will just have to wait it out.

o

Thelymitra cyanea? I wish! Those things are stunning! I don't know if they're allowed out of Australia though, because no one here seems to have them. They are reputed to be difficult to cultivate. That's not going to stop me from trying someday though. . . =)

Mike is right, it's a Tillandsia. Since they're tropical, you wouldn't think they'd need a cool period, but then again, you wouldn't think phals do, either, and yet they do. I was under the impression that they just automatically bloomed after the pups reached maturity. I think I'll ask on the broms forum. . .

o

Are the pups now adults? You do know that the parent plant does Not rebloom right?

o

Yes, the pups are now adults, and have been for several months. I know that the parent plant won't rebloom. She's been slowly dying off (I left the pups attached), as she should, but the pups are also getting the odd leaf dying, which concerns me. They aren't making new pups, either. So what's going on?

o

Hi Sa,

Sorry i've been away...too many other distractions i guess. :) I hate to say it but i don't know for sure what the 'trigger' is. I rather suspect that it is warmth. It seems like mine blooms, or starts forming a bloom...toward the end of the summer usually. I'm partly basing that on the currect stalk which is now pretty much totally faded. It has stayed pink for at least the last few months and it grew for most of the Fall and early winter. So my guess is that the warmth of summer starts the process. Maybe a cooling in the early Fall starts it? I don't know. Mine never leaves my terrarium and the temps don't really change that much...so it could just as well be some other factor. I think age has a lot to do with it as well. I had the silly thing for a good few years before it really started to be reliable.

OH!! I just realized another possibility. I usually change my bulbs in October, around halloween or so. Maybe its the sudden boost in light? Its possible that they come from a deciduous jungle where the surrounding trees lose their leaves. Thus it would get more light in the winter. That's just speculation. Sorry i don't have a better anwer for ya. Good luck!

o

Thanks for the ideas! I do need to change the light bulbs (but I'm getting a new tank, and switching to T5's, so I'm not going to change them), so maybe better light would help. And if yours also needed to be older, then maybe mine has the same problem! I'll just wait and see, I guess. . .

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Terrariums Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here