Return to the Terrariums Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
tek t 5 lighting ????????

Posted by angelo_s z6 NY (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 16, 05 at 15:15

I was thinking of purchasing this system for my paludarium It's 60x18x26 and is densely planted above and below the water. has anyone ever used these lights. I was intrested in the 48" long with 4 lights 2 3000 kelvin and 2 6500 kelvin the lumen per watt rating: 5000 lumens per lamp 54 watts=92.59 lumens/watt.. I need info on the lights if there ok for a paludarium and also if the lights give off uvb uva output for my reptiles vitamin D synthsis
here is a link for the lights
http://www.specialty-lights.com/960100.html
I also was wondering if a Metal Halide and High Pressure Sodium grow lights in one fixture is a better way to go or is it too powerfull

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: tek t 5 lighting ????????

T5's are very good for plant growth, and at 5000 lumens per bulb, those sound very good indeed! They are highly unlikely to give off any uva/uvb, so you'll still need a special bulb for that. Now assuming your tank is 60" long (not tall), you definitely do not need a metal halide or any other bulb like that. Fluo's will do you nicely, especially T5s. In fact, you won't need all of those bulbs. I would avoid the 3000K ones, and just stick to 6500K, as that is the closest to natural sun. 3000K will look very red, and make your plants and animals look weird. So if there is a fixture from the same company (or a different one) with only 2 bulbs in a 6500-6700K temp. rating, I'd get that instead.

o

what color are the 6500k? do they have a blue tint to them?

o

No, 6500K is the colour of natural sunlight at noon. It looks like a nice, sunny day. You can go all the way up to 10,000K before you get a noticeable blue tinge. 20,000K is what most reef tank keepers use, to get their corals to fluoresce nicely.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Terrariums Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here