Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
back2eight

looking for creeping fig

back2eight
18 years ago

Do any of you have any creeping fig to spare? I could send a piece of an aquatic utric that will continue to grow and spread, or I could just pay shipping for it if you are not interested in the utric. I tried to buy some creeping fig but the place was out and I don't know where else to look.

Kristi

Comments (13)

• heika
    18 years ago

Hi Kristi,

I don't have any yet, but I am going to buy some off of Ebay if you are still looking for some. The prices are reasonable enough. Just do a search on creeping fig.

Heika

• garyfla_gw
    18 years ago

Hi
    I have both the varigated and solid green types but both are the larger leaf forms. There is a type that the leaves stay under a quarter inch.Would be much better for a terrarium What type of Utricularia do you have??
    gary

• back2eight
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I can look on ebay, I guess. I put in an order with Vivarium Concepts for some things, but they were out of the creeping fig. I do have some plants for my viv that have 5-6 inches long leaves, but for where I want the creeping fig, the smaller leaf types would be best, probably. Or any type of plant that vines. I want it right in the corner of the viv where the background meets the side of the glass, so that it will sort of cover it up and blend it in, if that makes sense. Gary, I was dumb and did not write down the names of my plants when I ordered them, I thought I could remember. It is just small, green, aquatic, and it grows and spread fast. It has spread through my whole water area, and I started with just a small piece. I'll take a picture and post it a little later today.

• back2eight
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I looked on ebay, but I did not see any great deals for it at this time. Here is a picture of the aquatic utric in the water of my "grow" tank.
    {{gwi:1269495}}

Also, the leaves that you see in that picture are magnolia leaves. A lot of people use these leaves in vivariums with dart frogs so they have a place to hide. They are really slow to break down, and provides a good leaf litter for the bottom of your tank. I could also send some magnolia leaves if anybody wants some. My frogs love them. I have sold several boxes of leaves to people from dendroboard. I have them growing naturally around here, but people wo don't live here in the south do not have access to these leaves.

• iliketerrariums
    18 years ago

back2eight, I dont have any creeping fig, but I do have the baby tears that creeps around really well, if you want a piece just let me know! =)

• garyfla_gw
    18 years ago

hi
    If I were you I'd go for the baby tears.Much more civilized lol. Creeping fig roots at every node and clings
    like glue. It completely covered my gargoyle near my large pool. I'm going to have to sit down and pull every leaf off by hand!!
    Can't really tell from the pic but looks similar to what I have in my pools. have no idea where it came from but it grow and grows and grows lol. Was hoping to find some of the semi-terrestrials. Thanks
    gary

• back2eight
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I have some semi-aquatic, too, but only a small piece, so I can't give any of it away at this time. I plan on putting it in the tank once I get it set up.

Iliketerrariums, I just might take you up on the offer for some baby tears. Let me get everything planted and see what it looks like and see where I need something like that. I'm pretty sure I need it in one corner, but I may have too many plants already. thanks! I'll let you know.

• dougtx
    18 years ago

you can get creeping fig anywhere it is a weed! they sell it at HD/Lowes in pots also. if you put it in your terrarium be sure to keep it in check or it will take over. baby tears looks great and may be a better choice. but i cant believe you cant find creeping fig!

• iliketerrariums
    18 years ago

Theres a lot of times that I cant seem to find the most common plants anywhere, I couldnt find baby tears forever! Till my local Home Depot just decided to start selling it last year, and remember, a lot of the plants that we call "beautiful additions" to our gardens, terrariums, vivariums and so on, are considered weeds in other parts of the world =)

• alexis
    18 years ago

My local home depot hasn't carried creeping fig for several months now. They used to carry it with the exotic angel plants a year and a half now but now I can't find it no where at their store. I know florida was considering banning stores from carrying certain invasive plants that the state considered too invasive. Maybe that's why some home depots don't have it.

• jlogan2664
    17 years ago

I live in Miami and I got my creeping fig at Home Depot a few months ago but they only had one. It's doing really well and I have not had any problems with it taking over (yet). I started a cutting off it for a friend and the cutting grew extremely well in a pot outside the terrarium and I shipped it to MN a week ago with no problems. She said she only found it in one nursery and it was a huge pot totally full of it.

My current terrarium is a 16 gallon round acrylic fish bowl I got off Amazon.com that has a small fern, a full-size African violet, 3 dwarf African violets, and the creeping fig. I am using the creeping fig as ground cover between the other plants and I simply reposition the branches to go where I want them to go and they stay put. I will prune it if it starts to get out of hand but so far it's well behaved.

I just got an 18" x 18" x 18" Exo Terra and I intend to put some of the creeping fig in there along with maybe a ghost orchid and some other tropicals that stay fairly small. Not quite sure yet as I'm still researching what will and won't work in terrariums this size. African violets work well but I'd like a little more variety between the two terrariums. At this point I am intending to keep them strictly plant only and may add a waterfall to the Exo Terra as it has more floor space than my 16 gallon round terrarium.

• iliketerrariums
    17 years ago

jlogan2664, please post pics, sounds very interesting! and I love to see new stuff!

• jlogan2664
    17 years ago

iliketerrariums, I will take some pics this weekend and see if I can figure out how to post them. I've had the terrarium set up for about 4 months now and it's starting to fill in. The large Africna violet is getting ready to bloom and one of the minis is blooming. I'm quite happy with it. It's my first attempt at a terrarium since I was a child and got one from my grandparents for my birthday.